Nexus 3 on Worksman 26x2.125 not braking!?!?!?!?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got this Worksman 26" rear wheel with a nexus 3 coaster brake hub about 2 weeks ago, well before ever installing it I went ahead and pulled the internals and cleaned it (without removing anything but the one big bearing) and then applied new grease and reinstalled it back into the wheel. Well I finally got my Nexus rear kit friday that had all the bolts and lock washer, well I got it installed today on the bike and went for a test ride.... Well it doesnt want to brake, and the pedals go backwards after stopping which isnt easy. Its like riding my fixie, so my question is why isnt it locking the back wheel up when I pedal backwards. I cant stop pedaling either or they keep trying to turn with the wheel. Im very confused and am in need of some Rat Rodders thoughts and opinions on this.

Thanks, Colyn.

I am not. I bought it and when I removed the interals I just put grease on and reinstalled like I found it. I have never messed with the inside of a hub and couldn't even tell you what the brake shoes were if I had seen them.

EDIT - Did some research and found out what the brake shoes were and yes they are installed.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

Can anyone help shine some light on my situation. Ive taken it apart and placed everything just how Shimano's website rebuild instructions say and the coaster brake still doesn't work. I can push the pedals backwards and it will feel like it locked then it will knock your feet off and keep going. And when sitting still you can go backwards on the pedal and it will make you start rolling backwards like its a fixie. I really do not understand so any help at all would be amazing.

Thanks, Colyn.......

I suspect you put something in wrong order or in the facing wrong direction. Also i believe your supposed to use special shimano grease, maybe there is too much grease in there.

I got it. The brake shoe slipped ever so slightly from the small metal clip and I finally got it seated just right and put it on the bike and it locked up first time. Working and riding like a dream now......

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Back