No grease! No oil!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Disassembling Roadmaster bicycle shaped object. Crank has 99 mfg date and mfg in Mexico,
so maybe one of last bikes before Pacific buyout?
IMG_1202.JPG
IMG_1199.JPG
IMG_1201.JPG

Bike frame only, but paint looked nice yet.
IMG_1186.JPG
IMG_1187.JPG
IMG_1189.JPG

More dirt and sand than grease in BB.
IMG_1191.JPG

Chain is toast. :rofl:

I took apart a 1 piece BB and there was 3 dead wasps that were covered in rust dust inside it.:eek: There was no grease or oil in it either.
It was this bike...
20190825_135550.jpg

Last edited:
My project for this MBBO had no grease... anywhere... just paint & rust.

This moose was bone dry in the headset and BB.View attachment 108921I'm still rolling on those rims and hubs. I should check em for grease at some point.
Yep, this front wheel from an old Huffy was rattling after putting it into the springer.
index.php

The grease had hardened then turned to dust - a good cleaning and grease - no rattle!

Pulled the fork off the RockRat for the first time in over 25 years. I believe the hard crusty stuff was grease at one point.
IMG_20191122_102533758.jpg
Does anyone think this looks salvageable? Made me very sad when I opened it up. Poor baby, stuck with ME for an owner

Pulled the fork off the RockRat for the first time in over 25 years. I believe the hard crusty stuff was grease at one point.View attachment 109371Does anyone think this looks salvageable? Made me very sad when I opened it up. Poor baby, stuck with ME for an owner

yeah it's good. Use a brass wire brush and light oil like 3 in 1 or Rem Oil for guns on the threads, but any oil is better than none when wire brushing. Steel wool and metal polish or a brass brush and oil on the fork stem and an all new head set as the bottom race looks like it could be bad but it might need to just be cleaned. Any pitting, gouging or looseness on the race and it's no good. After brushing you can clean up the threads with a top race and oil if you don't have a thread chaser. Should be good for another 25 years.

Yeah, it's the guts of the shock I'm worried about. Out of production for 25 years, and Specialized isn't famous for supporting old products. The oil has been in there since new, and it's not leaking, so I'm hoping that the seals are still useable.

Yeah, it's the guts of the shock I'm worried about. Out of production for 25 years, and Specialized isn't famous for supporting old products. The oil has been in there since new, and it's not leaking, so I'm hoping that the seals are still useable.

Is it elastomer suspension? If so, there are cheap ways to replace them. I can't remember what they are, but it can be search-engined and I think there's even youtube videos. I was going to do this to my old mountain bike, but my ex's kid needed a bike and that was the "coolest" bike I had to give away that a teenage boy wouldn't mind riding. I wish I had the pink rocket bike at the time and could have pranked him with thinking I was giving him that!

No elastomers, oil and air. It's the Specialized version of a Mag21
s-l300.jpg

This will eventually be pulled apart, with mods to add a few mm of travel, maybe bump it up to a whopping 60 mm! Watch for the post on my RockRat thread. My antics should be pretty comical, I expect a bike mess

Latest posts

Back