no motivation

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am 75% dome my wife's bike, have the frame for Samurais Delight started and have a good idea for another bike but can not seem to get working on anything.
Not sure if it is because it is so hot down here that I do not want to be in the shop or what.
What do you do when you loose the motivation?

This is what I do, Lock up the shop, go home. Start doing the Honey do's that you are suppose to do, that you'll get around to doing, enjoy life. Then garb a small note book ands pencil and go to car shows Motorcycle shows look through magazines,check the paint section of the hardware store , take notes....let them simmer then ...wait for it.... Bing! :idea: an :shock: idea will come. then motivation, then drive, then obsession. There you go, the madness has returned. Now it can take days or weeks so get started. :mrgreen: 8)

Clean. My least favorite manager at work always says "Time enough to lean, time enough to clean." I say :p to that.

But seriously, for me cleaning up the shop helps. It helps 'cause it feels like I'm doing something toward my project without having to actually work on my project. Then when I get the motivation again (and it almost always comes back) the shop is nice and clean, and everything back in its place.

Good luck bud, you'll get back on it.

Creativity ebbs and flows....creative people inevitably experience downtime in motivation/production....but it always comes back, usually with a vengeance! :D

I've been unmotivated on my build-off bike lately, but tonight while cleaning the tank with steel wool and the original tank lettering showed up under some old paint, I got real excited and finished.

That doesn't help you though... :lol:

I normally bring my project in the house and work on it in my air conditioned man cave while drinking beer and watching tv or jamming out to music. Sometimes it helps, a song will trigger some childhood memory or movie scene in my head of something awesome then I just see the bike materialize in my head. For example I heard "Born to be wild" I start thinking of the old 1960's and 1970's choppers, then a google search brings up a David Mann painting, next thing you know I'm planning my next build.

Another method is I go garage sale hunting. Sometimes that one piece can spark an idea and you will build an entire bike around that one piece.

I get on the computer and listen to some hotrods and/or some rockabilly. It doesn't always work, so I might go out shopping for tools. Sometimes that doesn't work either, it's like karma, you have to wait for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5fZadBIBrA

Get back to work you slacker!! Don't blame the heat,we all knew what we were getting into when we moved here! Seriously though,I feel ya. :shock: between the heat,rain and humidity it's pretty demotivating.I'm giving all I got to get my build off done.I hope you find it in ya to keep working,you turn out some very unique stuff.You can always bring stuff by and work on it here at my place,sometimes having another person to share misery and creativity can help.Good luck man.
-Kreep-

I've been in the same boat with my buildoff bike. I have all the ideas, but between not being able to find the material I need and the friggin' heat I have zero motivation to work on it. Add in the fact that it's summer and the kids are home and bored and I find myself taking them riding and doing things to keep them from being couch potatoes all day.

I slack bad too, at least its good to know I'm not alone.
I still haven't completed my buildoff bike from last year and everything is done except painting the chainguard. :(

Kreep said:
Get back to work you slacker!! Don't blame the heat,we all knew what we were getting into when we moved here! Seriously though,I feel ya. :shock: between the heat,rain and humidity it's pretty demotivating.I'm giving all I got to get my build off done.I hope you find it in ya to keep working,you turn out some very unique stuff.You can always bring stuff by and work on it here at my place,sometimes having another person to share misery and creativity can help.Good luck man.
-Kreep-

Kreep, What I need is to come hang out some and soak up the ambiance of your shop. That should do it or it might just make me depressed over all the cool stuff you have.

g-ratter said:
Kreep said:
-Kreep-

Kreep, What I need is to come hang out some and soak up the ambiance of your shop. That should do it or it might just make me depressed over all the cool stuff you have.

Anytime man!

Latest posts

Back