NO uSe fOR a NaME!!! (aka Checkered Past)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my first build off. This is what I am starting with. 24" Hawthorne (not sure on the year yet). I have been patiently waiting on tearing this thing down. I have had it since February and has been burning a whole in the garage. :D I hope you all enjoy what I have planned for it.

This is how I got it.

This is how it sits today.

Re: No name yet...

Twin top tubes are always cool.
Good luck

Re: NO uSe fOR a NaME!!!

Since I will be focusing my creativity towards the build, I decided to not really give it a name. I guess it could be a tribute to Tony Sly, which is a great songwriter who passed away last summer far before his time. No Use For A Name was a band he was in.

Anyways, DAY OFF!!! So I will be tearing into this today. I have compiled a few parts...all of which I will post pictures of this afternoon.

Thanks,
Willy

Watching this one.

never saw those in a 24" , I have two of those Snyder / Rollfast frames in 26" .maybe should build one .. hmmm

Green Dragon said:
Watching this one.

never saw those in a 24" , I have two of those Snyder / Rollfast frames in 26" .maybe should build one .. hmmm

This one is Murray built I believe. I do have a Snyder built 26" that I may use the chainring from for this build. The rest of the bike is for sale.

Fat Willy said:
Green Dragon said:
Watching this one.

This one is Murray built I believe. I do have a Snyder built 26" that I may use the chainring from for this build. The rest of the bike is for sale.

It's Snyder built. Can't wait to see what you do with it!

When I got this bike I poked around a little bit and found holes in the head tube

so I picked this up...

I also picked up a rear rack...

Here is the seat I will probably use...

Here is a quick mockup with some bars from the sheliminator that I parted out and the rear rack. I ended up having to work on the dreaded "Honey do" list, so any further work will have to wait until the weekend most likely.

Twin Top Tubes - always a cool choice
Poor sheliminator :( :lol:
I remember your little guy thrashing on that bike during the group ride

Looking forward to seeing it come together
And YES, we need to go for a ride soon (now that it's above 50F :lol: )

The Sheliminator will be missed but the Huffy Rail will be way cooler.

The family and I are planning on a Sunday ride. It is supposed to be 60. We aren't sure where we will ride though.

Put the boy to work and got some work done this morning...

After we tore it down, I decided to bob the fender. This is the finished bob job mocked up with the rack. I still need to tweak the rack a bit. It has a slight bend in it.

After I was done with the fender, I cut out what I may use as a tank. Fit like a glove. After some precision sanding of course. :wink:

A lot more work to do...Stay tuned.

I figured their would be a few people that would appreciate that.

Funny thing is in high school i had a no use for a name band cutout hanging in my locker I got out of an old thrasher magazine. Very cool can't wait to see how this build turns out.

Here is a few more mockup pics...My favorite part of building. Taking it apart and putting it back together over and over again.

RockNRolla said:
Funny thing is in high school i had a no use for a name band cutout hanging in my locker I got out of an old thrasher magazine. Very cool can't wait to see how this build turns out.

It's funny how builds evolve from the original plan throughout the process. I had no intention of this bike being "punk" themed or themed at all for that matter but now...who knows.

This patch might have to make it onto the seat or something.

NUFAN is looking pretty slick!

Small update...I picked up a set of 24" truss rods from fellow RRB'er "arpicker"...It will probably be a few days before I see them but it is still progress.

*Stolen picture* :shock:

Fat Willy said:
Here is a few more mockup pics...My favorite part of building. Taking it apart and putting it back together over and over again.

Is that tank just wedged in? I was thinking of doing the same with a slab of redwood for the Nor Cal bike. I assume you made a template and went after the wood with a band saw?

It is just wedged in right now. I will use some sort of fastener after I paint the frame. I actually just layed the frame on the wood and traced it. I used a jig saw to cut it out and then hand sanded it to finish it up and match the contours of the frame better.

Latest posts

Back