Noobie here from Lynnwood WA

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello,
So I have already started posting but thought I should introduce myself. I am from Lynnwood WA as my post says and love bikes. I am currently going to college to get a degree in Digital Photography and not sure where I'll go from there. Anyway I have a question to go with my intro that maybe some of you here could answer.

Q: When you build custom bikes that require lengths of steel tube where do you get it? Do you just use stuff from home improvement stores? I heard that welding galvanized pipe is a bad idea because of the fumes.

Anyway my daily rider is an 80's Motobecane Mixte
IMG_8467.jpg

Welcome to the fun...love those mixtes.

Depending on what gauge of pipe you use there are pipe supply stores around.

Some of our more experience fabricators will be able to speak more to this question.

Would be a good one to ask in the "HOW TO" section also.

Welcome! :) I use "ordinary" tubes from the hardware store when I build my bikes. And yeah, the fumes from welding galvanized pipes are really nasty from what I've heard.
Have fun building! :)

the reason I asked is that those "ordinary" tubes you are talking about from a hardware store are usually always galvanized. If they are not then they have some sort of protective coating on them.

Oh, the ones my local hardware store carries aren't galvanized, I believe a friend of mine called them wet iron.

Latest posts

Back