Not Fast Enough!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, here I go...! My first build-off! :mrgreen: I'm gonna have to bump my Collegiate 3 into an over-winter project. Since I'm getting a late start, I'm not planning anything too complicated...Here's what I'm starting with:

IMG_0897.jpg

IMG_0898.jpg

It's a 1970(?) Speedster, that's already pretty ratty. The front and rear brakes don't match, someone had put 26" S-6 tires on it and the SA hub is beat up (the indicator chain is about to break in two, cable shot and the little wheel is gone). Broken rear spoke and the pedals are shot. I can't find one square inch that the paint isn't scratched, chipped or rubbed through! But other than that it's mint!! :lol: One good thing is that both lights do work! Not a good candidate for restoration so I'm gonna Rat it! I'm thinking making it into a Fastback type ride (thanks, deorman and mastronaut for the idea!! :wink: ) Here is some more detail pics showing how rough it is:

IMG_0909.jpg

IMG_0911.jpg

IMG_0910.jpg

The bike used to belong to someone named "J.C. Miller" 'cuz he engraved his name and phone # into the right fork leg!

IMG_0908.jpg

I thought about calling the number... :lol:
Here's what I got done last night. I started breaking it down for inspection and prep for paint:

IMG_0912.jpg

IMG_0913.jpg

Man!! I just love the lines of these camelback frames!! I wish Schwinn had made them in a 21-23" frame size...If all goes well, and I get my new welder, maybe I'll try and make one myself! So that's all for a start... Wish me luck!

Ought to be good!

I just picked up an old Varsity (girls bike) at a garage sale for $10.00 that has the exact same generator lights (that's the only reason I bought it).

All blown apart...and now I'll start prepping for primer and paint...

IMG_0916.jpg

Since this is my first time...Any thoughts on sandblasting vs. good ole' fashioned sandpaper?

Try to not be alarmed...but someone is watching you and taking pictures from the other side of what seems to be a window :shock: :!:

:lol:

But on a serious note, sandblasting is good but it shows any flaws that are in the metal while sandpaper seems to use the paint that's already on there as a filler. It basically depends on what you want. For bare metal go with sandblasting, if you are going to repaint just sand it a bit. Thats my 2 cents...

MarksA-C said:
Try to not be alarmed...but someone is watching you and taking pictures from the other side of what seems to be a window :shock: :!:
Hahaha!! :lol: Thanks for the input! I was thinking that I would take it down to bare metal. I'm planning to change the color...100 grit seemed to work pretty good...

I called J.C. Miller and he wants his bike back!!

Turns out he was in a coma after an accident and when the doctor's said it was a 'matter of days', his family put on an estate sale to cover his medical expenses and sold all of his possesions including his bike.
Well, to everyone's surprise he woke up from the coma and was he p***ed (not happy) when he discovered that all of his stuff had been sold!!
The family tried to recover many of these items but simply lost track of who bought what.
They placed ads, even had the local news come out and cover the story in hopes that the purchasers would hear of the family's plight and return the items.
The good news is most of the items have been returned, except for the bike!!
So, you better get that thing back together and return it!!
By the way, I told him how to find you and that guy taking pictures of you in the 'window' may be a private investigator!

Hey Drabe, are you kidding? Is this a joke? I had some guy try to pull this Krap on me but it was over a $20K motorcycle his wife sold me for $5000 free and clear, I even hold the title. I have no plans on returning it, I don't know the guy and I'm not a bank that makes loans to people. She was broke and needed the cash so she sold me his bike. He was in the hospital for 4 months with no insurance, I'm sorry life sucks sometimes. He even tried to report the bike stolen cause I haddened transfered the title yet to my name.

Sound familiar? If its true its really not cool to post it where everyone can read it. PM the guy at the least, or even get the two involved together so they can hash it out. But as far as I'm concerned if the bike was sold to a third party, regardless of the situation, that's life dude. I'm sure Bikeriderx wasn't told that this guy was in Coma and if he woke up he'd have to return his bike. That's just B.S., take it up with the family and move on. And its not like this bike was a prewar Hawthorne in mint condition, it's a Schwinn townie. What's it really worth? $100, maybe?

Later T

the 'private investigator' part should say it was a joke.

I took it as a 100% joke Travis!! :lol: I'm sorry that drabe's "merry-making" touched a raw nerve with you! :( Oh, btw I gladly sell this bike for $100...No joke! :lol:

IronSpadeCycles said:
Hey Drabe, are you kidding? Is this a joke? I had some guy try to pull this Krap on me but it was over a $20K motorcycle his wife sold me for $5000 free and clear, I even hold the title. I have no plans on returning it, I don't know the guy and I'm not a bank that makes loans to people. She was broke and needed the cash so she sold me his bike. He was in the hospital for 4 months with no insurance, I'm sorry life sucks sometimes. He even tried to report the bike stolen cause I haddened transfered the title yet to my name.

Sound familiar? If its true its really not cool to post it where everyone can read it. PM the guy at the least, or even get the two involved together so they can hash it out. But as far as I'm concerned if the bike was sold to a third party, regardless of the situation, that's life dude. I'm sure Bikeriderx wasn't told that this guy was in Coma and if he woke up he'd have to return his bike. That's just B.S., take it up with the family and move on. And its not like this bike was a prewar Hawthorne in mint condition, it's a Schwinn townie. What's it really worth? $100, maybe?

Later T

Whoa, whoa, whoa!! Of course, I was joking!!!
I was 'running with it' after you mentioned the number on the fork and that you hadn't tried contacting him.
I was totally being humorous about the whole thing, started typing and...well now I don't know what to say. :oops:
I could not have know about your motorcycle situation. I guess I just think everyone "gets" my humor, next time I'll be sure to include smiley faces :D . Besides, who uses words like 'plight' in everyday conversation?

Trust me, everybody else got the joke! :lol:
It was hilarious, don't feel bad about it!
:mrgreen:

Ratfink1962 said:
LOL nice story Drabe!
Bikeriderx... cool bike, just turning it into a Rat? looking forward to the outcome. :D
Yup! Got most of the parts together, and I've got it 50% stripped for prime and paint...Pics this weekend!! :mrgreen:

As promised...Here's some pics of the progress so far...Not too exciting...but progress! I hope to get more done tomorrow. I'll be home with my son. He has the flu... :(

IMG_0917.jpg

IMG_0918.jpg

Later...

hope your son feels better! and its not the H1N1, right?

Latest posts

Back