Nothing special CWC Hiawatha

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to the Denver OBC Spring Swap meet saturday, sold some stuff, and didnt buy much which is good! There was a lot of cool stuff to be had, including two CWC frames for 20 each from different vendors that I had my eye on. Well, I just so happened to be in the right place at the right time, the free pile was getting started... a member brought over this ratty looking repainted Hiawatha with fenders! After a little convo with another member who wanted it for the strut brace and bars/stem, I was able to walk away with the whole thing! I quickly grabbed a bunch of items to return to the pile in exchange. The turning point in the conversation was about how the bars were welded to the stem, and that the stem itself was probably siezed in the fork... I can probably fix that, and if not, its probably getting Klunked anyways...
5280c2c4916a84df2a695da4332eaf2a.jpg

Wow good luck with the project. I can never find any free parts for my project let alone a frame. Im jealous lol.

Poorman

I know right! Was almost ready go start haggling on one of the CWCs for sale when this guy fell in my lap!

The paint appears to be sprayed on, not sure the best method for removing it will be. Heard oven cleaner works, also brake fluid. The guys I know into RC crawlers use brake fluid to remove paint from their lexan plastic bodies, if it doesnt hurt the plastic it should be a fairly gentle method, oven cleaner sounds pretty harsh.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

I'm not familiar with a free pile at the end of a swap.
Sounds like a good idea tho. Great place for stuff you don't want to bring home. And maybe find treasure?

That's the type of frame I'm looking for. Great deal.

Carl.

sent from a banana phone...
There are a couple around here in Denver that were at the swap. One guy selling is a member of RRB, met him a few months ago after he recently moved here from out east. Let me see of he still has his available!

I havent even begun to really think of how it will be built parts-wise or if it will be painted, stripped to bare metal, make an attempt at recovering og paint? I know I have a Bendix 2spd going into it, but thats about it. But I think this build already has a name, Nothing Special :)

1ba6a76577177bc4d37d6cae8aff206c.jpg

The 2 I've had like that didn't have any original paint, so I would try to see if there's any under the red. Patina looks great on those bikes, check out the 47 CWC from the latest build off.

The Yellow Band 2 speed will be great on there. That new driver has 20 teeth, I thought yellow bands only had 18 for boys or 19 for girls bikes. Either way, it'll clear the chain stay.

That new driver has 20 teeth, I thought yellow bands only had 18 for boys or 19 for girls bikes. Either way, it'll clear the chain stay.

Was wondering if someone may notice... I had it all ready to rebuild, pulled it apart, and found out its the wrong driver! I believe it is for the 2 speed cable actuated Bendix. My friend tossed it in the goodie box he just sent me, all I was expecting was the spring for the kickback and it came with so much more!

I stand corrected. The nos driver I have is for the blue band, overdrive version of the 2spd kickback. Found that out in Sutherlands repair manual.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back