"Nuke" Pics Air Ride IFS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
NukeBuild001.jpg
This is the junk pile to start my anything goes build. Nothing fancy, just most folks trash.
NukeBuild002.jpg
NukeBuild003.jpg
NukeBuild004.jpg
NukeBuild005.jpg
NukeBuild006.jpg
NukeBuild007.jpg
NukeBuild008.jpg
This build will be horizontal square 2" tube connecting the horizontal front fork to the rear coil over shocked swing arm. Drilled 1 1/8" holes throughout on three sides with a 1" round tube to be painted key lime green to replicate a radioactive core suspended inside the rusty square tube. I finished the fork pivot using a bottom bracket placed verticle hacked from the pink kiddie bike in the junk pile photo. So far all the material is recycled junk with my build cost at a bare minimum using only electricity, welding wire, argon/co2 gas, cutoff wheels and grinding discs.

Re: Kuttnhack "Nuke" Build

Thanks Unk, Any ideas on keeping the weight down? Other than me going on a diet! I won't be using any top or down tubes, just a upright bracket at the front of the swing arm for the coilover and saddle mount. Very streamline and simple lines.

Only a real genius can spot an evil genius! Should be ready for a shakedown and riding this bull in the famous Galt Rodeo.

When you use real heavy stuff ,it makes a real heavy bike. I bought some 3/4 solid stock for my back triangle and normally I use 5/8 . You can really tell the weight differance...kinda overkill but I'm not ever going to worry about any of it bending. It looks like to me you will have to shim that plate out on your sprocket. The sprocket wont rub but from the picture it looks like the chain will.

That was a huge concern so I actually spent a lot of time and energy to make absolutly certain I mocked it all up with the chain on the chainring and had plenty of clearance before I walked it home. On the next set of pics I will have the crank out and the additional detail of the top assembly to secure the top of the fork to the crank pivot. I decided the 2" square tube was nessesary to support the horizontal structure being there are no triangles. The bottom bracket instead of a headset at the steering pivot due to no additional support at the front fork which points forward. This is my seventh build to date and I think I'm looking far enough into the build to catch any goofs. Don't be bashfull if you find something I missed. Thanks for all the help.

"Nuke" Phase II
NukeBuildPhaseII005.jpg
NukeBuildPhaseII001.jpg
Front fork assembly done. Pivot is strong and works great.
NukeBuildPhaseII002.jpg
NukeBuildPhaseII003.jpg
NukeBuildPhaseII006.jpg
NukeBuildPhaseII004.jpg
NukeBuildPhaseII008.jpg
On to the rear swing arm with the chrome coilover, then assemble the main tube and start the rear controlled steering. Stay tuned for more "Nuke" news!

More holes tomorrow. Just finished tha main tube with the bottom bracket in place. Fabricated the rear fork and the swing arm pivot are dialed in. Parts came from a trash picked kids bike with rear suspention, works great. Welded a verticle unright to mount the coilover and now need to build a long headset for the rear controlled steering. I'll have more pics tomorrow of this crazy two wheeler. Long day, time to rest.

Re: "Nuke"

Here's the pics from yesterdays enduro run. Today I will fab up the shock mounts and the steering tube/headset which will be in the center of the seat/shock post. Rain tomorrow so may have to shut down for a day. I will post todays work during the week. So far on track to make it to Galt Rat Bike Rodeo next Sunday.
NukeBuildPhaseII009.jpg
Close up of the steering ring mount.
NukeBuildPhaseII010.jpg
NukeBuildPhaseII011.jpg
NukeBuildPhaseII012.jpg
NukeBuildPhaseII013.jpg
NukeBuildPhaseII014.jpg
Not sure about the seat or the placement. Open to suggestions. The bottom bracket is a little close at around 24" to the seat post. Calculation snafu. Back to the dungeon.

Slow progress today but she's a roller. Looks like I'll be adding an additional bottom bracket somewhere up on top of the main rail about 10 or so inches. Way to close to be able to peddle in it's current configuration. I'll use the existing bottom bracket for an idler to line up the chain with the rear drive sprocket. Long way to go to get rideable. Started raining today so had to pack it in and roll the lab under cover.
NukeBuildPhaseIII006.jpg
Stretched out longer than 8'.
NukeBuildPhaseIII005.jpg
NukeBuildPhaseIII004.jpg
NukeBuildPhaseIII003.jpg
If it was not already a beast it would be cool to bag this baby.
NukeBuildPhaseIII002.jpg
NukeBuildPhaseIII001.jpg
That's it for today. Thanks to all that are taking interest and watching this monster come together. Is it me or is everything getting blurry?

Looks like it stopped raining for a couple of days. Gonna get back on it after I finish my garage door job today. Four sub assembles to complete by Sunday to get ridable and oh yeah, stoppable.

1. Steering: Find a smaller front chain ring and one to match for the rear headset. Design the forward bottom bracket for under tube mounting and have idlers on the bracket posts for the steering chain to the run the chain under the tube to the back. Fab up the rear headset and fork with the chain ring and mount it to the rear upright tube/post. Attatch the steering chain and see if it steers. Fab handle bars from the bottom of the cut off forks and wrap around the upright post to the seat area from behind the rider. It turns!

2. Drive: Fill the existing bottom bracket with a one piece crank set but! no chain ring. Modify the left side crank arm to carry an idler and modify the right side the carry a spring assembly to keep tension on the long chain. Mount the previous fabbed forward bottom bracket with one piece cranks, chain ring and pedals. One more idler at the rear swing arm. Drive complete!

3. Rear shock mounts: Fab up two brackets. Weld one to the swing arm. The other with a flush welded bolt on the back. Bolt to the drilled hole in the top back of the upright. Drill a couple of extra verticle lined holes for swing arm adjustment.

4. Seat: Oh Boy! Depending on time I may try to use the set in the pics. But I really want to fab a custom saddle and supend it from the top of the upright/now to be called the shock tower.

Pics and reports every night to follow and track my progress. Can I GET R DONE by Sunday for Karfers Galt Rodeo? Stay Tuned.......

No pics tonight, too exhausted. 9:30pm and I just finished the steering assembly. I can now turn the front pivoting fork from the bottom of the shock tower. It actually works a lot smoother than I expected. I cut off the fork tubes and welded a chain ring on the bottom of a fork to the head tube under the bearing race which will be the attachment area for the handlebars. Also welded tabs on the head tube with nuts and slipped the headset in the bottom of the shock tower and secured it with four 5/16" bolts. I opted for this method so I could remove the headset to service the bearings as needed. It's all tucked under the main tube out of the way and looks very tidy. I can cross out half of 1. Steering: Tomorrow snap some pics and tackle item 2. Drive: Looks like I'm on track and making good progress.

I like the alot of the concepts on this bike. The one I don't know about is the steering. With no height and all rake, steering while rolling maybe difficult.

Here's the pics from last night. Steering works very smooth in the vise and on the ground under it's own weight. I think I'm at about fifty or so pounds as she sits now. I can't forsee what happens with the weight of a rider but I don't think there will be much change, although might be a bit squirrly at slow speed.
NukeBuildPhaseIV007.jpg
NukeBuildPhaseIV003.jpg
NukeBuildPhaseIV005.jpg
NukeBuildPhaseIV002.jpg
NukeBuildPhaseIV004.jpg

Latest posts

Back