Nuthin' Special - Finished

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's also a cloth wrapped fuel line for V.W.'s that I used on my motorized bike that looks good.

I've never heard anything good about those chain tensioners that come with the kit. With your ability to fabricate with metal, you might do yourself a favor and make a bracket that will connect to the seat stay. I'd hate for that bracket to twist into the side of your tire! :eek:

Or wrap it with hockey/bat tape....
Good idea, Was looking to wrap the electrical with cloth bat tape. :)

There's also a cloth wrapped fuel line for V.W.'s that I used on my motorized bike that looks good.

I've never heard anything good about those chain tensioners that come with the kit. With your ability to fabricate with metal, you might do yourself a favor and make a bracket that will connect to the seat stay. I'd hate for that bracket to twist into the side of your tire! :eek:

Cloth wrapped fuel line.... hmmm. May need to make a trip to Meyers auto.

That chain tensioner, I still don't like the way it sits 10 degrees off square. I have two spares, was planning to customize one to fit right this weekend.

Was looking for some bracket material and found this hinged foot rest on an old tossed out couch.

Picked out the one I wanted and cut the piece off.

Trimmed the edges and sized it up, almost a perfect fit first time.

Deeper chainstay and it would have been fine, so added another hole. Fits like a champ.

Didn't drill the spring holes yet as I don't have a spring that fits.

I used all my pull springs on my mbbo sissy backrest.,

Thought I had some spares, else a trip to hardware store in the morning.

Last edited:

Started on the headlight, broke it. Will see after the jb weld and washer dry well over the broken hole or not....

On a bonus. Found these at the dump yesterday. A guy was throwing away a home Gym and I picked up 4 round 72"+ lengths. Its probably 4130. Thought stainless, but found light surface rust on it where friction had rubbed against it.

Shame about the chain issue and breaking the engine mount, from what I have read those engine mounts are pretty weak to start with, what about adding a piece of 1/4" plate on the outside of the mount, where you have the extra washers, to hold it all together?

Like this:

20110060865_e9154a64d4_z.jpg

Luke.

You can do it.
Rhanks for the confidence :)
Shame about the chain issue and breaking the engine mount, from what I have read those engine mounts are pretty weak to start with, what about adding a piece of 1/4" plate on the outside of the mount, where you have the extra washers, to hold it all together?

Like this:

20110060865_e9154a64d4_z.jpg

Luke.
Im just glad it broke on the test ride, rather than at 30mph...

Luke, That would probably work, didnt think of that for the extra strength using the existing. I have a plate with the right width holes already made. It is wider though, as I used the engine on a different frame.

On the last frame I used with this engine, Two 1 1/2" exhaust c clamps, bolted the plate to them and the engine to the plate. May pick up a couple 1" and make a similar setup...

Well. Threw the chain on a ride, took out spokes, ripped them thru the wheel. With this last incident, that engine isn't going back on this 75yo frame.

So I phase 2, an utter failure, except I have this cool tank.
Sanded the damage. Patched the slight bent mark.

And gave it another coat of red.

Got a day to figure out wheels. Can still finish...

Latest posts

Back