Obscured----Last Update 8-4----

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well I guess I have decided to join in the fun. I had contemplated the idea of joining for a while but with having the last two days to tinker I figured I would go for it. This will be my first build off and I'm a little worried I won't get it done but what the heck.
Here is what I'm starting with....
IMG_7383.jpg

I'm not sure what it is, I guess maybe a Colson. I got it at the last bike show in Dudley.
I have not figured out what exactly I am doing yet (hence the name of the build) except that I will try and throw a few of these parts at it and see how they look.
IMG_0308.jpg

IMG_7025.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

So who's got these Thick Bricks aired up? Could you measure the width? Are they actually 3" wide? If they are I don't think that they will fit the fork or frame so the rims/tires are liable to get changed.

I have disassembled the bike and started to prep the frame for paint. Hmm do I want paint??
IMG_0331.jpg

That's it for now. :lol:

Re: Obscure

Well, we have nothing to worry about, he has no cool frame, no cool parts, and no cool back up frames... wait, what I just said, I meant the opposite of it all. :eek: :wink:

Is the frame 24 inch or 26? If its 24 they may fit with the fenders off. I have the thick brick creams on my 50s 24 inch spitfire and I had to take my fenders and chain guard off for them to fit. Still need to flip the sprocket so the chain will clear better

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Well I got a chance to work on the bike a bit today, just did more paint prep. Pictures soon.
I started stripping the paint before I put the fork and light with it but I saw the same thing, the colors/patina matched good.
If I had all the parts together before I started stripping it I probably would have left it.Oh well.

I actually bought the bike for that seat so I will hang onto it for now but I was thinking the same thing when I saw it... big pile of shiny nickles :D I think I could get more for the seat then I paid for the whole bike.

The bike is 26" but I'm pretty certain the 24x3 thick bricks won't fit, just to wide.
Any one ever find a 26x2.125 tire that matches the Thick brick?

Great start...Get Ta Buildin'!!

highship said:
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Well I got a chance to work on the bike a bit today, just did more paint prep. Pictures soon.
I started stripping the paint before I put the fork and light with it but I saw the same thing, the colors/patina matched good.
If I had all the parts together before I started stripping it I probably would have left it.Oh well.

I actually bought the bike for that seat so I will hang onto it for now but I was thinking the same thing when I saw it... big pile of shiny nickles :D I think I could get more for the seat then I paid for the whole bike.

The bike is 26" but I'm pretty certain the 24x3 thick bricks won't fit, just to wide.
Any one ever find a 26x2.125 tire that matches the Thick brick?

First off...WOW nice buildin' stuff.Second check out the Quick Bricks.This is gonna be nice.That rack is suhweet :!:

There are going to be a lot of creme Thick Bricks in this BO.

Cool frame, looks similar to this Colson I used to have but your fork looks different.

022211058.jpg

but also resembles a Rollfast Scout or Hawthorne Zep style too. the seat stays on these were more straight though

Wow look at that thing, Nice!

I can't believe the progress I am seeing here with some people, they look almost done :shock:

So I managed to squeeze in a couple more hours and heres were I'm at...
IMG_0349.jpg

Just slipped the fork in there with some bars to check for fit and look. As you can see the frame has been stripped and so have the fenders, not really sure what the final treatment will be.
I might be going with a black seat instead of the red one that was on there.

Also got the light apart and operating off of battery power.
IMG_0351.jpg

IMG_0352.jpg

I think I have a cool idea for mounting it...

Re: Obscure *UPDATED 5-13*

If I have time I will be coming back to the light. Originally there was a bulb in the housing behind the sealed bulb, it was wired to a flasher and was located right behind a red section of glass on the back of the sealed light. It would blink red. I hope to change the toggle switch out for a three position one so that I can run the light either white or red.

Re: Obscure *UPDATED 5-13*

So who's got these Thick Bricks aired up? Could you measure the width? Are they actually 3" wide? If they are I don't think that they will fit the fork or frame so the rims/tires are liable to get changed.
I have a set on my Aluminaty build from last year. They are super close to 3" on a 2.5" rim and that frame is a 24" frame. I put them on a 1936 Silverking. If you look though last years build you can see how close they are. If you go with a normal 24" wheel you should be good. Here is the link if you want to see it.
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=39658

Still Obscured

Well I guess I should do an update...
I have no pictures so you can hit the back button now :arrow:

OK, for everyone left, just because I don't have pictures doesn't mean I haven't been working on it.
I have been suffering countless hours behind a grinder, sander, wire wheel, and buffer all because I thought I would do a bare metal build :roll: I kind of had this vision to get it mirror like :roll: I'm not sure I'll get it but I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet.
I'll get some pictures up soon.

I have also secured a few more parts, straightened fender braces, and made some decisions. Unfortunatly I have yet to come up with wheels and tires now that the Thick Bricks won't work.

Re: Obscured

Glad to see you are still with and working hard. Good luck and post pics when you can.

Re: Still Obscured

highship said:
Well I guess I should do an update...
I have no pictures so you can hit the back button now :arrow:

OK, for everyone left, just because I don't have pictures doesn't mean I haven't been working on it.
I have been suffering countless hours behind a grinder, sander, wire wheel, and buffer all because I thought I would do a bare metal build :roll: I kind of had this vision to get it mirror like :roll: I'm not sure I'll get it but I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet.
I'll get some pictures up soon.

I have also secured a few more parts, straightened fender braces, and made some decisions. Unfortunatly I have yet to come up with wheels and tires now that the Thick Bricks won't work.

Hang in there. It's usually not the wow factor items that make a bike stand out, it's the tedious, boring, time consuming prep. I learned this painting cars, everyone thinks it's the paint, it's not, it's the prep.

Good luck, Rg

raggedjim said:
Hang in there. It's usually not the wow factor items that make a bike stand out, it's the tedious, boring, time consuming prep. I learned this painting cars, everyone thinks it's the paint, it's not, it's the prep.

Good luck, Rg

I hope this turns out to be the truth with my build. I really don't want the reacton to be "oh another bare metal bike" I want it to be more like... "oh man that looks sweet, how did he do that"

Time will tell.
Thanks.

Chips_Mahoy said:
highship said:
I have yet to come up with wheels and tires now that the Thick Bricks won't work.

Make them work....I did! It wasn't easy but it wasn't hard.

Oh how I would like too!
I am comfortable making the frame work but the fork has me a little nervous. There really isn't a way to bend them wider so I would have to either modify the crown of the fork which I think is above my skill set or notch the fork where the tire passes by.
I had thought about laying out the "notch" that I would need and then carefuly cut out, flip the piece over and weld back in. Theoretically I would end up with a little concave portion of the fork where the wheel would pass through. Sounds good right? Well here are my concerens...
I'm not sure my skills would give me the results my imagination has, it may not be structuraly sound, and I might just completely screw up the fork.
My second thought was a 24x3 on the rear and a 26x2.125 on the front but I can't find a 26x2.125 that matches the 24x3 Thick Brick.

This issue is really changing my whole vision for the bike :|

highship said:
Chips_Mahoy said:
highship said:
I have yet to come up with wheels and tires now that the Thick Bricks won't work.

Make them work....I did! It wasn't easy but it wasn't hard.

Oh how I would like too!
I am comfortable making the frame work but the fork has me a little nervous. There really isn't a way to bend them wider so I would have to either modify the crown of the fork which I think is above my skill set or notch the fork where the tire passes by.
I had thought about laying out the "notch" that I would need and then carefuly cut out, flip the piece over and weld back in. Theoretically I would end up with a little concave portion of the fork where the wheel would pass through. Sounds good right? Well here are my concerens...
I'm not sure my skills would give me the results my imagination has, it may not be structuraly sound, and I might just completely screw up the fork.
My second thought was a 24x3 on the rear and a 26x2.125 on the front but I can't find a 26x2.125 that matches the 24x3 Thick Brick.

This issue is really changing my whole vision for the bike :|

I had the same issue with my forking clearance problem with my Thick Bricks. It was suggested to me that i do what you're talking about with cutting, flipping and rewelding the piece back in but I didn't want to cut anything. It was also suggested that I cut the top on each sideofthe steer tube and widen it to spead the fork tubes wider apart. I didnt want to do that either. I ended up going to a friend's shop and taking a couple scrap pieces of a 1x3 piece of pine and putting one on easch side of a tube, placing it in his giant bench vise and giving it a couple good go's. That compressed the tubes some but not enough. So I took the pine pieces and went to a different friend's shop with bigger tools ( :D :D :D )! I ended up using his big 'ol hydraulic press (for his dump trucks), used the pine pieces as "cradles" since they had already compressed themselves to the shape of the fork, and SLOWLY compressed the fork tubes until I was happy with them. The tubes didn't crack or split and the tires fit fine now. I did have to do some bodywork to smooth out a couple spots where I didnt have everything lined up perfectly, but I can deal with that since it was my first time.

Re: Obscured

As long as I'm talking about vision...
I think what this build is lacking is a theme. Now I'll be the first to admit that I think/thought that themed builds were kind of lame however all of you guys doing themed builds have made me rethink that. I am starting to think a theme really helps with direction, creativity, and execution.
With that said I am thinking about picking a theme for this build. If I don't do it on this build then I will save it for a future build. What I was thinking is a gun build, I'm not a big gun guy so I don't know what kind of gun but I thought it would be cool to do a gun bluing treatment to the frame and a wood tank and then all the little gun accesories. I don't know, we will see... :?

Latest posts

Back