OCC Army Stingray (Father/Son build)--FINISHED!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: OCC Army Stingray (Father/Son build)--Saddlebags Mounted

Props to you for letting the boy do his own work.

My dad took over my projects and it's taken years to discover I could "do" anything with my hands. He was only helping when he saw me struggling. Only now do I know that the struggling is where learning occurs.

It doesn't make it any easier when I see my boy struggle, but I know there is a bigger picture than the immediate result.

Love the bike, but love the project more. Keep it up!

that looks great , and the way to do it is so klever
9113329228_1503fa200e_z.jpg

Very cool build!
I love the machine gun forks :mrgreen:
Ya guys make a great team 8)

junknutz1975 said:
Very cool build!
I love the machine gun forks :mrgreen:
Ya guys make a great team 8)

OneHorsePower said:
that looks great , and the way to do it is so klever

Thank you, and thank you!

If it ever stops raining here in the Sunshine State :roll: we'll be able to get some paint on the rest of the bike.

It didn't rain today! It's almost 8pm and we still haven't had our thunderstorm! 8) And, it's 90 degrees outside...perfect paintin' weather -- Florida is a big oven for baking paint!

DSC02404 by sunliner500, on Flickr

DSC02405 by sunliner500, on Flickr

DSC02406 by sunliner500, on Flickr

I've got a suburban paint booth by the same manufacturer as Kingfish's Urban Paint Booth, I think. Anyway, we laid down a thick coat of primer, and let it bake for 20 minutes or so.

DSC02407 by sunliner500, on Flickr

First actual color was on the chainguard.

DSC02408 by sunliner500, on Flickr

DSC02409 by sunliner500, on Flickr

Gabe, hard at work in the paint booth. He did all of the priming and painting, except for the head tube, just because it was too high for him to reach.

DSC02410 by sunliner500, on Flickr

DSC02411 by sunliner500, on Flickr

We used up the entire can of paint on the frame and chainguard, and there's goopiness and some runs -- BUT, when's the last military thing you saw with a perfect paint job? Tanks, ships, they all have paint slobbered all over 'em in a hurry, so the runs and uneven-ness are all part of the scheme. And I'm not just saying that because we did a poopy job, either! :mrgreen:

DSC02412 by sunliner500, on Flickr

Close-up of the color. "Italian Olive." It's a satin paint, so there's some sheen to it. We thought that'd be better on a bicycle than a dull, flat color. A little shine is a good thing. Or if it really doesn't work we have some flat clearcoat we could break out.

So all we have left are some accents and reassembly. I should probably soak the chain in something oil-like.

Re: OCC Army Stingray (Father/Son build)--We Have Color!

noodlenoggin said:
Incidentally, I just noticed that our build has over 1000 views! :D Thanks, everyone who's looked, for being interested in our build!
GREAT GOING!! USE AS MUCH FLAT CLEAR AS YOU CAN. IT WILL SEAL IN THE PAINT. I USE 3 CANS AND LET IT BAKE IN THE SUN FOR DAYS. EVRYTHING LOOKS GREAT TO ME....GTB!! PEACE

Jake Sensi said:
GREAT GOING!! USE AS MUCH FLAT CLEAR AS YOU CAN. IT WILL SEAL IN THE PAINT. I USE 3 CANS AND LET IT BAKE IN THE SUN FOR DAYS. EVRYTHING LOOKS GREAT TO ME....GTB!! PEACE

Thanks, man!

I'd initially planned to print out some stencils and spray lettering on the chainguard, but the font ended up too small to be able to cut. So I tried to hand-letter it with Testors model paint and an old brush.

DSC02415 by sunliner500, on Flickr

If Gabe likes it we'll keep it...but I'm thinking it just looks kind of terrible and I'll sand it off and repaint the chainguard.

And, I've got the chain marinading in a stinky daiquiri of degreaser and transmission fluid. Should have it un-rusted or at least well-greased by the time we need it.

Thanks a pretty good first paint job your son has done.

It's actually hard to paint and get that matt effect for army style paint jobs.

One thing there won't be too many other teenagers who can say they had as much hands on with a project bike as this one. Let him know how impressed some of us are with his hanging in through the not fun stuff like scraping and sand back etc.as well as the quick and you can see the result like painting.

way to go!!!! this bike is awesome can't wait to see more pics!!!! once again tell your Son good job :D :D 8)

Troy

Love the paint job.
What you may consider for the lettering is print out the lettering and make your own decals or stickers. Google around and you will see it isn't that difficult.

DSC02416 by sunliner500, on Flickr

I feel better about the lettering. Gable liked it as it was and wanted to keep it, as opposed to sanding and repainting. I had to do *something* to make it less ragged, so I added the black shadows to the lettering with my super-specialized fine-detail brush -- a toothpick. :)

Kroozerdave said:
Thanks a pretty good first paint job your son has done.

It's actually hard to paint and get that matt effect for army style paint jobs.

One thing there won't be too many other teenagers who can say they had as much hands on with a project bike as this one. Let him know how impressed some of us are with his hanging in through the not fun stuff like scraping and sand back etc.as well as the quick and you can see the result like painting.

jats said:
way to go!!!! this bike is awesome can't wait to see more pics!!!! once again tell your Son good job :D :D 8)

Troy

I am blown away by the amount of interest and kudos from you guys about doing this with my son. I showed him all of your responses and he said "It's a bicycle," with his little half-grin. I didn't think this was a big deal, but all y'all are making me think that it is. Not bad for a total outlay of about $50, all told. :)

This bike is looking awesome. I can't wait to see it done.

Good to see a son/father project. Bike is looking good as a result.

pkh1974 said:
This bike is looking awesome. I can't wait to see it done.

Thanks, me neither!

MazdaFlyer said:
Good to see a son/father project. Bike is looking good as a result.

Thanks!

Great father son project. I had my son help me last summer rebuild a cruiser for him but all he was really interested in doing was spraying paint, typical.

kim_dude said:
Great father son project. I had my son help me last summer rebuild a cruiser for him but all he was really interested in doing was spraying paint, typical.

Truth be told, that's 85% of what Gabe's really interested in. :roll: He did want to help break the bike down, though, and will likely want to help reassemble it. And to his credit, he did help on the scraping and sanding and stuff, until his hand "hurt" or he got tired of it or something. At the very least he's hanging out in the garage with me while I work. I've told him that I won't work on his bike without him there, anyway.

Dude he's got to finish this!!!!!! its gonna be so cool!!!!!! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Troy

Latest posts

Back