OCC Army Stingray

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We're done! :D

Build thread: OCC Army Stingray

First, the bike as a whole. It's basically the same as stock except for colors, and we added the cans. I really like they way it looks in olive green and black, though, and I'm stoked about the forks, and super-stoked about the way the ammo cans turned out. I like the stance, and the general, I don't know, chunkiness of it. I even broke out the good camera for the pics! :p

DSCN0016 by sunliner500, on Flickr
(Please use this picture for the gallery, thanks!)

DSCN0001 by sunliner500, on Flickr

DSCN0018 by sunliner500, on Flickr

DSCN0003 by sunliner500, on Flickr

DSCN0004 by sunliner500, on Flickr

We got a roll of black tennis racket grip tape for the handgrips, and Gable wrapped them this afternoon.

DSCN0020 by sunliner500, on Flickr

Oh, and the brake lever...

DSCN0015 by sunliner500, on Flickr

DSCN0006 by sunliner500, on Flickr

Some details of the saddlebags...

DSCN0009 by sunliner500, on Flickr

DSCN0007 by sunliner500, on Flickr

And with the lettering on the chainguard. The can obscures some of it, but turns out I don't really care! :mrgreen:

DSCN0023 by sunliner500, on Flickr

DSCN0008 by sunliner500, on Flickr

We added one other final detail this afternoon...

DSCN0010 by sunliner500, on Flickr

DSCN0019 by sunliner500, on Flickr

And then there's the fork tubes...

DSCN0011 by sunliner500, on Flickr

DSCN0012 by sunliner500, on Flickr

DSCN0021 by sunliner500, on Flickr

And a detail of the lettering.

DSCN0014 by sunliner500, on Flickr

The drivetrain got all blacked out.

DSCN0013 by sunliner500, on Flickr

And finally, I'd thought of smearing Vaseline on the headbadge before we painted, to see if I could get the silver parts silver but let the olive into the black parts, kind of like rat-a-tac did for the fender on NDN. But, I couldn't find any Vaseline in the house, so I masked it off before we sprayed the frame.

DSCN0017 by sunliner500, on Flickr

And the best part was doing this with my son. All of the paint is his handiwork, and he got his hands dirty with the teardown, sanding, scraping stickers, mocking up and mounting the saddlebags -- he was in on every step of the way, basically. I didn't do anything without him in the garage with me.

DSC02433 by sunliner500, on Flickr

Oh, and I almost forgot. The total outlay for the entire project was:
  • Craigslist bike...$15
  • Paint...$20
  • U-Bolts...$10
  • Grip tape...$5
  • Ammo cans and grenade...$0
  • Total...$50 :D

Very nice build. Your son had the coolest bike in the neighborhood!

Great military look recreated. The grenade will be a bit hard to get when needed. Nice teamwork.

MazdaFlyer said:
Great military look recreated. The grenade will be a bit hard to get when needed. Nice teamwork.

Depends how you look at it, just fill the saddle bags with explosive pull the pin and jump off the bike letting it roll into the enemy camp. Kamikaze style. :mrgreen:

Great father son build to follow!
CONGRATS!!

pkh1974 said:
Very nice build. Your son had the coolest bike in the neighborhood!

dracothered said:
Great bike and I think he will remember this for a long time...

Thanks for the compliments!

MazdaFlyer said:

outskirtscustoms said:
MazdaFlyer said:

Depends how you look at it, just fill the saddle bags with explosive pull the pin and jump off the bike letting it roll into the enemy camp. Kamikaze style. :mrgreen:

I was kinda thinking of it as a self-destruct kind of grenade. :mrgreen:

kingfish254 said:
Great father son build to follow!
CONGRATS!!

Thanks, I appreciate it!

Very cool! Congrats on a great father/son build. I dig the hand grenade, Don't let it fall off the bike!

Latest posts

Back