Off on another tangent.... BSA custom long lean Path Racer "The Archduke" that turns into an Art Deco Roadster!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a mate around today who helped me get over some design stumbling blocks I have been having issues with.... Rather than having single rods of either sides for the fender mounts I am now going to use the same jig I made for the brake stirrup and make smaller double rods that go from the axles around the fenders (attaching in the middle of the fenders) and back the the axle on the other side... looking at double 9/64 high tensile rods for that, maybe spaced apart a little. It will mean I can't have the reflector right at the back of the the rear fender, BUT it will look better a little higher up anyway cut to fit and with a small wooden shape between it and the fender at the top of the reflector.... plus I think have nailed the concept for the pump mount, same style with two side by side 9/64 wires coming from a diamond on the frame and curving to the pump ends....

This is so far beyond bike building at this point that you should consider, if you're not already, contacting local art & design spaces and galleries to get this shown.

This is so far beyond bike building at this point that you should consider, if you're not already, contacting local art & design spaces and galleries to get this shown.
Hadn't thought about it but was thinking of taking it to an Art Deco weekend they have in a town called Napier that was rebuild in the Art Deco style after a earthquake...

I was puzzling about how to make a the rear fender mounts to the frame adjustable to move with the wheel when the chain is adjusted... BUT just thought I could leave the wheel in one place and make up a tensioner on the forward end of the lower chain run?? Anyone got some cool older looking tensioner designs??

IMG_20200628_134019184_HDR.jpg

Early 70s CCM tandem tensioner. Just a slotted tab, basic. You just need to add the deco.

Early 70s CCM tandem tensioner. Just a slotted tab, basic. You just need to add the deco.
As requested I have added the Deco..... with some reference to the Adler chainwheel design... now I have some bronze and I am going to turn up a plain bearing and end cap for the idler sprocket.....
D4A3879F3872.jpeg
D478A9D7-1781-4E32-98AA-BCD24F33BF62.jpeg
D-D377-4744-A467-C8E8A56A396A.jpeg

Today I ordered a 415 by T12 motorcycle front sprocket to make my chain tensioner idler out of... grind off half the teeth and I have my 6 tooth idler gear.
And I was very pleased to pick up some very cool Art Deco style nuts for the centre of the fenders were the mounting wires will go around the outside of the fender these nuts will hold that to the fender in the middle.
Last week I googled images "wingnuts" and found these were made by Yamaha music to hold cymbals on there stands... so I called the local music shop and he had never heard of them, but he called the national Yamaha importer for me and he had a unopened bag of 10 that have been sitting in stock for ever! So he go them in for me and bought the lot :)
I think they will add to the bike and I might even use one on the seat post clamp... Last pictures show them on the half complete fender trims...
P1080343.JPG
P1080341.JPG
P1080348.JPG
P1080351.JPG
P1080354.JPG

You can tune a cymbal, but you can't tuna fish.
Those are nuts!

1598535970425.png

The special tool in question is what my father used to call "a large percussive maintenance device" ie hit them with a bloody big hammer!!!! :)
Cotterpin nightmares...
I found out how to press them in. I destroyed a bb bearing 10 years ago with a big hammer.
Checkout my "Class 1 buildof thread, empo pathracer". (This is not a commercial, I repeat.....) :bigsmile:
I press them in with a small vice and a bush to clear the protruding thread. When stuck: put the nut on. Then cycle a bit carefully and repeat a couple of times.
When you hit it with a hammer the cotterpin gets notched and won't go any deeper, so you need to file the notch down and press it in again....
Well thats my experience.

I love your bike btw! Beautiful work on the fenders!

I ground up and "anvil" and hammered all my fender trims to the curve of the fenders... used a curved hardwood mallet so I didn't stretch or damage the metal more than needed....
P1080359.JPG
P1080361.JPG
P1080360.JPG
P1080362.JPG

I have also completed my chain tensioner.... cut down a 415 12 tooth motorcycle sprocket to skip tooth and turned up a pin, bronze bush and outer washer.
P1080356.JPG
P1080363.JPG
P1080365.JPG
P1080366.JPG
P1080368.JPG
P1080369.JPG

Latest posts

Back