OK, it's not a rat bike... it's now the "Big Boy G.I.Joe" toy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Quiz time, see if you can guess what Mike's building (Yes, yet another build in the queue!)?
Hint: it's all green and it ain't a dragon, frog, or a Kawasaki!

It won't be a 100% G519 clone but it'll be real freak'n close!
Frame and rims still at the blaster, saddle is in the works for a "Kyle the Kid" refurb.
Add pics as it progresses...

It will be all paint, my neighbor has a MIL STD pub from back in the day and the paint is the correct OD green for the period... not to mention, it's really, really hard to screw up what's basically flat green:rolleyes:. Being very careful with the prep and using self etching primer as the base with filler primer over that where needed.
Unfortunately it won't be a 40's Huffman frame, that'll be what I believe is a CWC frame (got it cheap) but the lines look pretty much the same. Thus far the possible biggest expenditure will be a truss rod set up from Al Berger (Bergerwerke Bikes), but that's dependent on how what I currently have on hand looks after paint.
I got a correct five drop skiptooth sprocket from Ralph (AS Boltnut), but I also found a Wald non skiptooth with the same pattern (five drop), rusty and cheap (being blasted). So the plan is to set up two drive trains and wheels, one ST, one standard... if I get low balled trying to sell it guess which is going on it?!
It won't be a direct clone but I think unless your one of the obsessive types that knows serial numbers and every little detail (I guess kind'a like those Porsche purist?) you probably won't see a difference. What I very quickly discovered is anything that's actually of G519 lineage has serious $$$ being asked... Except for the Torrington OD bars!?:confused:
Side note, my buddy's wife chairs the local Veterans Boat Parade here in our little beach hamlet. This year we honor the US Army, so this should be a pretty big showing. It was originally just gonna be a theme build but very quickly became a "Build it as close as possible", to an actual G519 bike.

Last edited:
Oh I hear you on the OD shade disputes! I'm just gonna refer any confrontations to my neighbors MIL STD markings pub, pretty hard to argue with that. I, myself, thought initially the paint I'd received was too dark... spot on with the color chip in that pub, so I'm content.
And keep in mind, this won't be a 100% clone. I have a Delta Winner light, it has the logo on top. I'm having a seat reupholstered brown leather... It's not a Persons. I probably don't have the correct stem or wheelset... little nuances that a purist will surely attack, but if they can't offer me an affordable replacement... Well let's just say I can't type my response here on the forum.;)

Very cool! I found a place online once that had color codes for every military vehicle & year. They sold the paint too. You could even get it in spray cans. According to them, the shade changed alot. Even in the same year. Basicly arround ww2, the military used what ever was available. Coke machines were like that too arround ww2.

Can't wait to see this one :)

Hey, it doesn't get any more "Rat" than an old Army Jeep!:21:
I've wanted to ratrod out an old jeep. B&Sed 4.0L from a newer one, weber throttle bodies, custom frame, ditch the doghouse for like a tractor grille or something, big beefy zombie killer bumper.

Well about time for an update on the "Big Boy G.I. Joe" toy...
Had a bit of a set back on this project in that it wasn't (and still isn't) finished in time for our Veterans Boat Parade for reasons beyond my control... Major eye surgery which has resulted in a cataract that now needs repair!:headbang: We are a flawed design!!!
So now I have most everything on hand, except the time! It does seem to be getting closer to a clone, but I am not about to spend $500 on a seat, $300 on a pump and clamp, and whatever for a correct bell! So those will be the compromises. I've even managed to get my hands on a Dayton Huffman head badge for $20 (Seeings how it's gonna be OD green as well I wasn't about to spend much more!).

So here it is, wheels are in the process of being prepped for paint and built up. Front fender is ready for paint along with a nicer Huffman chain guard.

Love military bikes, whether it's a tribute, restoration, or anything in between.

You guys talking about custom Jeeps made me think of what I would do with a Jeep, which would be something like this:
attachment.php

Hah! From military bomb proof utilitarian transportation... to rat rod'd speed bump devastator!

Oh! Oh! So darn close to being finished!
Waiting for some rear hub bearings to do a rebuild, looking nice maybe even a little authentic... till you get to the rear wheel!

Neat, I've always wanted to build a military bike.
Kenny

Latest posts

Back