Ol' rust red.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pick this up a few days ago for $40. Just have to replace the rear axe (stripped), true the wheels and grease the bearings and she is ready to ride. Might try to find some rusty apes and a rear rack for the beer runs.

Would anyone know what brand of bike this is? Or year? The Grips are western flyer. Would that be it? It also has a sticker on it from new york. it is a licence bicycle plate sticker. I will get a picture of that.

I pick this up a few days ago for $40. Just have to replace the rear axe (stripped), true the wheels and grease the bearings and she is ready to ride. Might try to find some rusty apes and a rear rack for the beer runs.

Would anyone know what brand of bike this is? Or year? The Grips are western flyer. Would that be it? It also has a sticker on it from new york. it is a licence bicycle plate sticker. I will get a picture of that.

it's a western flyer, just got one of these to day yours is more complete then mine all I got was the frame, fork, and crank set and it still had the head badge. Best part is mine was free :banana:

I think just about every maker but Schwinn had contracts with Western Auto at some point. I'd say this bike was probably built after Schwinn's patent on the "cantilever" seat stays expired in the year I was born, 1957. I suppose it's possible they might have gotten away with it earlier due to having Westfield loop stays instead of continuous ones.

I'd guess early to mid 60's. It looks pretty good, fenders aren't banged up. That's a good frame style. I'll agree on Westfield built, the dropouts and sprocket are giveaways.

I think just about every maker but Schwinn had contracts with Western Auto at some point. I'd say this bike was probably built after Schwinn's patent on the "cantilever" seat stays expired in the year I was born, 1957. I suppose it's possible they might have gotten away with it earlier due to having Westfield loop stays instead of continuous ones.

I may be wrong, but I thought a patent lasted 17 yrs. 1938 plus 17 is 1955. I think there are non Schwinn cantilevers starting in '55. I'll see if I can find one for you. Gary

Latest posts

Back