Ol school Mongoose Decade Update found a missing piece.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fate is a funny thing. My wife says if you put desires out there they may return to you. It happens so much it is kind eerie.

So I've been wanting an 80's flatland bike for a couple months. My LBS had a 87 Mongoose Stylist in the back room that I was keen on, but he knows the BMX is going up so he wanted like $200-$300.

It is a great store but I didn't have the 'fun money' (and that is a lot for a Mongoose Stylist.) so I thought I'd list a couple bikes on CL (my first time selling there) to try to drum up some funds to see if I could make an offer on it.

So I list this pretty sweet 59 columbia straight bar, but it is a 24" so there isn't a ton of action on them and I wasn't asking a lot for it. I also say I am willing to make a trade for ol skool BMX.
IMG_1907.jpg

I get an offer for trade on guess what. An 88 Mongoose Decade, which is the twin of the Stylist I wanted! Fate! I would have had to sell at least two or 3 bikes to buy the one at the LBS.And someone put some upgrades on this thing as they went.

I wanted a ratter, something I could have fun with and not worry i was destroying a Hutch. this is just what the doctor ordered. Literally.

Egads the paint. Someone actually did a good job with it BITD. Even spraying in the BB. But it is way too McDonaldland for me. It gotta go!
IMG_2407.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

First upgrade is a GT stem. Not sure from what.
IMG_0097.jpg

Check out this ACS Gripper brake! Never heard of it!
IMG_0089.jpg

My guess is this is just a sticker, not an ODI post, because I can't see that ODI ever made a post. Ol Skool cool though!
IMG_2410.jpg

Pretty stoked about these Peregrine 48s! Sealed bearing. Front has a bit of chrome peel though.
IMG_0098.jpg

Rear Peregrine is laced into a beat Hulahoop rim.
IMG_2412.jpg

The Serial.
IMG_2414.jpg

Mmmm Cro-mo crank with Tioga Spider and Tuf Neck chainwheel! (I have the hardware for this.)
IMG_2415.jpg

MX brake and a DiaCompe extra plus this RAD Odyssey locking RX-3 and some extra rotor parts.
IMG_2416.jpg

Pile of extras, chains, tensioners, Odyssey rotor brake cable, and 2 Tange Motocross fork caps (one on the bike already). And dig the mushroom bb dust cover.
IMG_2417.jpg

Alas no screw in pegs. Those will cost me.

I always wanted a lavender freestyle bike. I just might go that route. It is a blank canvas, soon to be even more blank!
paint_remover.jpg

Re: Ol school Mongoose w/ some tasty upgrades

Good finds, I missed out on a $5 bmx almost like that one but the guy couldn't wait a few minutes for me to get back with my money.

kngtmat said:
Good finds, I missed out on a $5 bmx almost like that one but the guy couldn't wait a few minutes for me to get back with my money.

Thanks I just love it when cool stuff exchanges hands with no money involved.

The guy I traded with was just what I was hoping for. An Ol Skool BMX guy who was tiptoeing into really vintage metal. And me, a vintage bike guy who is tiptoeing into OlSkool BMX.

Serendipity.

I used to have one just like this back when I was younger, my dad bead blasted it and painted it the same colors as yours. Would be a laugh if it was my old bike, I will have to see if i have any pictures of it.

CWC said:
I used to have one just like this back when I was younger, my dad bead blasted it and painted it the same colors as yours. Would be a laugh if it was my old bike, I will have to see if i have any pictures of it.

That would be pretty amazing. What part of the country are you in? Very well could have been yours, I mean, how many mongoose decades could have been painted like this? Whoever did it to this one took their time and must have bead blasted it, put down some primer and painted it.

So please, DO post a photo!! You now have me very curious!

Alas the fork on this one was too far bent. And in trying to fix it I think I made it worse. So I am looking for a new fork.

Re: Ol school Mongoose Decade w/ some tasty upgrades

When I got rid of it I lived in Merrimac Ma. I think it was around 1992 when I got it and it had about 8 layers of spray paint on it and my Dad took care of that with the custom paint, It was originally the blue color they used then. I looked threw my pictures I have at my house but couldn't find any of the bike. My Mom might have some at her house in Vermont, I will ask her to look. If you ever get rid of it I would love to have her back, I have many scars from that bike and seeing it again brings back many memories.

CWC said:
When I got rid of it I lived in Merrimac Ma. I think it was around 1992 when I got it and it had about 8 layers of spray paint on it and my Dad took care of that with the custom paint, It was originally the blue color they used then. I looked threw my pictures I have at my house but couldn't find any of the bike. My Mom might have some at her house in Vermont, I will ask her to look. If you ever get rid of it I would love to have her back, I have many scars from that bike and seeing it again brings back many memories.

Wow this is crazy! If you lived in MA it is hard to believe this isn't your bike. I got it from a collector in Holyoke MA. You will be first on the list if I sell it. In fact if you find another I would trade you this one so it can be back home. (Or shoot me enough cash to replace anything I send your way.)

Granted the fork on this one is too far gone to be of use. The legs were actually bent at slightly different angels. I tried to straighten it, but it just got worse. It was bent unsymetrically and had a twist to it on one leg. I tried using a press, and got some of the bend out, but the press dented the tubes. However the Frame, bars, seatpost, rear brakes, post clamp and the interesting use of a GT BMX scooter goose neck, all still have the paint on them like in the photos. (I've almost sandblasted them 3 times, but haven't. Maybe it is fate! LOL.)

I left the fork at my in-laws in Indiana (over christmas), but I could get it back if needed.

Hw much cash are we talking here? I would love to have my old ride back, it was the first good bike I had. I can look around for an old 20" to trade you but they don't really show up to much in the Portland Oregon area but I can hunt one down I'm sure of it. Man so crazy to see my old bike from over 20 years ago, never thought it in a million years

Fisch, I think your wife is correct... "if you put desires out there they may return to you."
Seems like that may be the case here :shock:

indeed horrible MC.D's colored..

That GT stem is off of a GT Zoot Scoot BMX-Scooter i believe :D cool rare stem there man :mrgreen:

Nice find there, I love these old mongooses. Not an overly rare or expensive bike but it's what I grew up with being a child of little means. :mrgreen:

Re: Ol school Mongoose Decade-

Thanks for the replies guys! For some reason I wasn't getting notifications. But as an update- in life, patience pays off! Been hunting for a fork for this goose since summer. Because the one it came with was bent worse than it looks in the photos, and I made it even worse trying to straighten it. Spinner made them as I understand it? They were also on a few other brands, BUT, the Gooses have a straight down dropout, and the others were offset.

So I have almost bought a few quad-peg forks from other makes, but held out, as they aren't cheap. Then this pops up on ebay, and I snag it for a great deal. (The last proper goose fork I saw listed was $100.)

This is for the Goose FS-1 but is the same as the fork on he decade. I dig the color!

CWC- I PMd you, but will think about a price and get back to you.

But I guess the question is, how much of the bike would you want back? Now that I've found a fork, there is the option of just doing a frame swap too. Or enough cash for me to get another decade frame. But if you'd want the seat post, gripper brake, bars, gooseneck, etc.. I'd need enough to replace them from the same level/ era. I don't think the cranks and wheels I have came from it, but you'd know better than me! (Do you want the old bent fork?)

In trade, another Decade, or something of equal level/notoriety from the era would be needed (General Hustler for example.). Not a Columbia or Huffy level bike. (Naturally if you found something of higher level and wanted to trade, that'd be fine too! Hutch, Redline, Haro, etc. I just don't want to be out of pocket on a replacement. I actually want to ride this thing!

Also the bigger question at the moment is whether you only want it with your dad's paint still on it, cause I am itching to paint it now that I have a fork- but don't want to remove your family history if it is something you want.

The fork! Ebay can be a good thing. Sweet color!
T2eC16VHJIIE9qTYKJ1BQ5PfYZnRQ60_57.jpg

T2eC16RHJFoE9nh6nwm0BQ5PfYYSZ60_57.jpg

T2eC16dHJG8E9nyfpnWrBQ5PfgDK-g60_57.jpg

I looked but I never got a PM from you. Strip that paint off, it was my Dads pick of colors and I think his brain wasn't working that day. I told him is was ugly colors the day he brought it back home. I will keep my eyes open for a good trade on it, I have been looking for some old school free style bikes for a friend in boston and have my eyes on a couple.

CWC said:
I looked but I never got a PM from you. Strip that paint off, it was my Dads pick of colors and I think his brain wasn't working that day. I told him is was ugly colors the day he brought it back home. I will keep my eyes open for a good trade on it, I have been looking for some old school free style bikes for a friend in boston and have my eyes on a couple.

Man I just can't stop thinking about this being your bike. It is a crazy story! You gotta have it back. (BTW you are right about the PM, it never sent last time for some reason.)

I just PMd you a deal to get this bad-boy back in your hands. Let me know what you think.

Latest posts

Back