Old Manse Hawthorne...Final Day Video just added!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OddJob

Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
The basis of this build is a 1937 Hawthorne barn find bike. It was fairly complete when I found it, and some parts were added on later to enhance this beautiful old, t-rusty steed. Below the pics is a link to the build thread. Here are a number of pics from my ride this morning in Lowertown - St Paul, MN; my home stomping grounds and favorite place to take a vintage ride. I spent last night in the Black Dog Cafe, listening to some pals show off their considerable jazz chops. And coffee and a doughnut this morning....

I really enjoyed the 'ride' during this RRB Build Off #12. The creative and innovative nature of all the builds, along with the community building among the builders, is what keeps me coming back time after time. Thanks for another good one! RaT oN!

omhfinal3.jpg
omhfinal2.jpg

omhchainclose.jpg
omhtankclose.jpg

omhbackside.jpg

omhblackdog.jpg

Ride video along the Mississippi today, the last day of the BO 12. "She may look rusty, but that's just a disguise, she rides like a dream, I tell you no lies".

The obligatory 'fountain pic'.....trademarked by @kingfish254 !

omhfountain.jpg

Find the build thread here: http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/in...e-hawthorne-lights-camera-action-pg-8.103140/

Last edited:
It's as if the OddJob award manifested its self as a bike :cool2:.
Beautiful rust bucket !

Another bike done RIGHT!...A sheep in RAT"S clothing

Love it. Very pleasing and easy on the eyes. Looks like it was dragged out of a barn and just rinsed. The fancy chain guard is the focal point. Stunning.

Thanks all! I really had fun trying to create the 'cast iron' look on the chain guard, handlebars, and rims. And the cleaning up of the frame and fenders, but leaving it just rusty enough for my own rat-isfaction. The Do-Ray tractor lights were also fun to customize and adapt for bicycle use.

Before:
hawthorne chain guard.jpg

After:
18361667_1836827606343390_1553751573_n.jpg

Before:
hawthornewheel.jpg

After:

18360383_1836829639676520_1246256430_n.jpg

Before:

hawthorne build.jpg

After:

18360602_1836828783009939_1077867748_n.jpg

Whew, what a beauty.
The muted hues of the backgrounds in the pics are just right to show off the lines and details of this fine old relique'.
Just a super build.
Man, I can't believe that chain-guard even cleaned up enough to accept the O.J. 'treat" ment.
But......we're glad it did
3 thumbs up...:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
franco

Always fun to watch the ratisfying ratina in action. Great job on this one she's a beaute. Your wit and encouragement are a great contribution to these build offs.

Whew, what a beauty.
The muted hues of the backgrounds in the pics are just right to show off the lines and details of this fine old relique'.
Just a super build.
Man, I can't believe that chain-guard even cleaned up enough to accept the O.J. 'treat" ment.
But......we're glad it did
3 thumbs up...:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
franco
Thanks franco! I just sort of all came together, and easier than some bikes. I guess it's what they call 'good bones'. When I saw the bike in it's original condition, I just knew there was a cool rat rod in there somewhere!

Always fun to watch the ratisfying ratina in action. Great job on this one she's a beaute. Your wit and encouragement are a great contribution to these build offs.
Thanks Chad! The cyber-friendships we develop are one of the main things that hold me here. And, all the rust of course...! :21:

Well done OJ ! You sure no how to make a old bike look older she's got the look , she's got the look well you know the song . Key points for me sprocket, guard , bars & light [emoji232] on with your crusty bad self .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well done OJ ! You sure no how to make a old bike look older she's got the look , she's got the look well you know the song . Key points for me sprocket, guard , bars & light [emoji232] on with your crusty bad self .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks G! I was old before my time, maybe that has something to do with it! :bigsmile:

Latest posts

Back