Old Manse Hawthorne...LAST DAY RIDE VIDEO! pg 9 !

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOOKS GREAT BUD. THANKS FOR MENTIONING ME. NOW THAT YOU SEE MY BIKE PRIMED GRAY YOU CAN IMAGINE IT ON YOURS HUH?!? SO CAN I. GTB! PEACE

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
You know what they say Jake, "Imitation is the highest form of flattery" ! And..primer is a color!

Very cool ride OJ. It is one of my favorite style and year frame. Very cool tank that adds mean to the look. All the rustification and Patina creates great character.

[emoji106]

Building..... Riding.....

One of the best parts of these builds is finding old parts from yesteryear and learning about the way they were constructed and functioned.

This old tractor light I picked up for Old Manse is really cool! It was just a lens, not a complete bulb, so I popped open the hinge and found some cool stuff. A squared off main bulb for the headlight, and also a red glass bubble with another really tiny bulb coming through from the back. I guess this was likely a turn signal, built right into the headlight!

I will convert the head lamp part to LED, and I'm going to try and integrate the red glass bubble lens into a rear tail light. It was tricky getting the glass bubble out without breaking it, I filed off the tabs of glass protruding through the housing, and then gently tapped the stubs through to the other side.

headlight2.jpg
headlight3.jpg
headlight4.jpg
headlight5.jpg

Cool lite. Do you know what a double pole triple throw switch is? You could wire it so flipping the switch one way lites it up with a white LED and flipping the other way could be your choice of optional colors for show...another and easier option would be a second switch for brites.

Carl.

Picked up a wireless puck lite at Big Lots, got 2 for $5. Reamed out the former bulb hole to fit the LED bulb/reflector. Gorilla taped it to the back of the shield.

Like the bright (80 lumens) but subdued look of the glow!

Now, where to mount? Close to the head tube off the fender, or hanging from the stem?

Your thoughts?
20170610_082554.jpg
20170610_082600.jpg
20170610_082903.jpg
20170610_083129.jpg
20170610_090343.jpg

Oddfender ost: 1047693 said:
Picked up a wireless puck lite at Big Lots, got 2 for $5. Reamed out the former bulb hole to fit the LED bulb/reflector. Gorilla taped it to the back of the shield.

Like the bright (80 lumens) but subdued look of the glow!

Now, where to mount? Close to the head tube off the fender, or hanging from the stem?

Your thoughts?
View attachment 53487 View attachment 53488 View attachment 53489 View attachment 53490 View attachment 53491
Liking the fender spot for the headlamp.

Well, the early polls are 3 voiced votes and one write in vote (MazdaFlyer "liked" one) for the fender mount.....and 0 votes so far for the stem hanger. I'm leaning toward fender as well, I really like how the stem bar rat-ifying turned out and don't want to take away from that.

I don't really like hiding that beautiful brass head badge, but the flow works better.

I like the more traditional handlebar mount but hard to tell without seeing the whole bike from farther back. That light might be a wee bit big for a fender light.

Jimmy Carter, 39th president. :21:

This pic I posted in his Shelby Flyer Woody finished thread is what inspired me to do my current build. I wanted a bike like Jimmy Carter's lol.

jimmy_carter_riv.jpg

The 24 hour tally is now 5 - 3 fender mount over handlebar mount. I'm heading off to our MN Antique and Classic Bicycle Swap in a couple hours. Maybe I will find something there that will 'seal the vote' ! :grin:

Latest posts

Back