Old School Rigid MTB's

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MADDAWG said:
biss-ness said:
Vipon said:
Hey 41DX,, awesome collection!!!!!!!! and that 2nd shot of you riding is classic, way back off the seat. I really think that todays MTB'ers have no idea the skill level it took to get a fully rigid bike down the trails.

Some of us do... :D

bikes036.jpg

I'd so love to add one of those Treks to my corral , Is that a Whisky fork ?

Nope , I think it is an Origin8 carbon or a non branded Ritchey.

That is so funny you mention itchy arms...I thought it was just me!!!! When I have not ridden in a while, I get the Itchy Arms big time. I ride a 29er rigid single speed with rigid forks. My tires are literally balloons, as they are 2.4, and I run tubless.

wheelbender6 said:
With the availability of suspension forks, there just aren't that many guys going totally rigid anymore. We all remember the itchy forearms during fast descents.

spistols said:
That is so funny you mention itchy arms...I thought it was just me!!!! When I have not ridden in a while, I get the Itchy Arms big time. I ride a 29er rigid single speed with rigid forks. My tires are literally balloons, as they are 2.4, and I run tubless.

wheelbender6 said:
With the availability of suspension forks, there just aren't that many guys going totally rigid anymore. We all remember the itchy forearms during fast descents.

I like it all; full suspension, hard tail and fully rigid. Never been able to step up to a single speed Mtb. though. I did just come across my first 29er project so who knows.

41DX said:
I like it all; full suspension, hard tail and fully rigid. Never been able to step up to a single speed Mtb. though. I did just come across my first 29er project so who knows.

Give it a shot, a bought this GT Peace 9R SS about 3 years ago thinking worst case it'll make a nice cruiser, my RIP9 sees very little use now. Just had a friend build up his first 29er, a hardtail decided to try SS before all his parts came in, said it's the best thing he ever did for his riding. Downside is you end up riding alone pretty much.

SS_calvera_zpsd224455c.jpg

Yep, SS's are a ton of fun. No thinking about which gear your should be in, or when to change. If you want to go faster just stand on it. I've got a Redline Monocog that I love. Built like a tank but rides really smooth in spite of being rigid.

Alright guys, as the originator of this post I think I've kept everyone waiting long enough. I finally scored this vintage mountain bike from my boss a few days ago and had a blast taking it out to the trail in my area. It's a pretty rad ride. Enjoy!

gt+mtb+%232+copy.jpg

fatbiker said:
Alright guys, as the originator of this post I think I've kept everyone waiting long enough. I finally scored this vintage mountain bike from my boss a few days ago and had a blast taking it out to the trail in my area. It's a pretty rad ride. Enjoy!

Nice, looks like it's in really clean shape, those old GTs are bulletproof.

The last rigid 26 I had was 91 or 92 MB-1 Bridgestone, loved it but the tubes dented so easy.

I got a 1994-1995 GT Karakoram similar to that but it's a half suspension

And my daily rigid ride a 1980's Diamondback Ascent
Pic006_zpsd94365bd.jpg

So I don't ride it off road much, but this is my go-to bike -- late 1980's Cannondale I inherited when my mom passed, and was my first bike fix-up project.
Thread here: http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18176&p=184220#p184220

DSCN4546 by sunliner500, on Flickr

DSCN4547 by sunliner500, on Flickr

Buffalo Wild Bike? by sunliner500, on Flickr

It coasts forever, and fits my long legs. I replaced the shifter for the rear...the eBay listing said it was a 7-speed...but it's really an 8-speed so indexed shifting is out...but I just "feel" it into the gears. Shimano everything and Biopace front rings. I love this bike.

Lots of old school here.

Lately got a nice all rigid steel Univega Alpina 503, and I have a sweet rigid cannondale m400 with anodized parts that I built up.

I also have a hardtail Kona Explosif that is light as sin and awesome to ride (got frame free, it was kinda beat up). But it's got a front shock, a rockshox air fork from the 90s.

I'll be honest i use a front shock on the trails most days, (altho i also usu
brians-rant-UnavegaAlpine1-usedbike.jpg
ally use a single speed) but with that univega i'm probably going to be doing more rigid riding soon...especially since i swapped a talented mechanic friend a beer to fix the unfixable indexed shifting 7 speed shifter!

(forgive the caption -- I posted it somewhere after i first got it in an effort to send a message that is obvious but not relevent here.)

Latest posts

Back