Old Schwinn ballooner... year/model?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey wow, I haven't been here in a while... so I came by to look for help IDing a bike for a friend. Lo and behold, now there's a whole forum dedicated to just that. Nice.

Anyways, this friend just dragged a purple 24" Sears Spyder 5-speed and a Schwinn ballooner out of his mom's garage. The Spyder is already spoken for, but we'd like to find out more about this one...

shanschwinn.JPG

I know it ain't much to go on, but he ripped this off with his cell phone just as he was leaving for vacation and then texted me. Any ideas on year and model? I was guessing late '40s early '50s, but I really know very little outside of muscle bikes. I asked if there was a model name painted on the guard, he just said it looked like someone painted silver over the circle on the bottom of the guard and that was all he could see. I was kinda thinking from the pic that it looked like someone hit the guard with a brush, augh...

Thanks in advance for any help.

--rick

The chainring suggests a Phantom, but the frame dart on the top tube is typical of a Wasp or other lower end bike. Serial numbers moved from the BB to the rear dropout for 1952. -Adam

It looks late 50's or early 60's to me. Kind of an oddball. I've never seen that paint scheme before on a Schwinn. Gary

Latest posts

Back