Old Schwinn ?s

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I have an opportunity to purchase this bike from a friend and I was wondering if anyone could tell me how much it would be worth and if its worth it. Thanks!-Swanny

Looks to be a Schwinn Surburban. From the the mid1970's to about 1980. I would buy it for about 50.00-70.00. I believe when new it sold for about 140.00 if that. What are you planning on doing to it? These bikes are built like a tank and weigh as much as one. 45-50 lbs. If it's to cruise on flat ground and get groceries they are ok.

Looks to be in decent shape. No collector value, but as a good commuter city bike it I could sell that in my area for up to $150.

Id buy it for 50, switch from disk to coaster..take the hardware off the bars and tape it. I cant see anything else.. It looks comfortable,..one piece.. solid.

I was going to keep it the way it is. it has new cables/tires/tubes/chain. He wanted $150 for it, I'm in Hawaii and not sure how the market is for vintage bikes.

I dont know what delivery is, but 75 on top of delivery wouldnt be a bad sale.

Well, I'll probably get quoted but a few other members have been seen with the opinion, anything under a hundo really isnt a big deal, it becomes more about personal preference at that point.. over a hundred and its time to narrow down some specifics, ya know?

Market value varies a lot from place to place. Don't know what old bikes go for in Hawaii, but I'd imagine gears would help a lot on a volcanic island. Looks like a bit of seaside pitting going on there. I personally wouldn't drop more than 40-50 on it, then I would swap off the sought after pre-reflective pedals and seat clamp and resell it. As a complete bike, with the fresh cables and good tires 100 would be fair for someone who it fits and wants that type of bike.

He ended up not selling it to me. But, I came across an 1980 Sanwa 10 Speed someone was throwing out. Ill take it!
That's a fair find. I did a little search on it. I never heard of that brand, but I don't know everything. I know you asked about converting it to a freewheel single. I think I might just buy a fixy single speed prebuilt wheel for it.... but I think that's 27 inch wheel that might be harder to come by. I really would think keeping it as a mult speed bike. But I would do things to modify it. I wonder if u can put a springer front fork on it. I saw a springer on a British Bike recently, thought it would be a cool bike to own till I saw what it cost.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back