Old seat- cool, but broke! Help!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any ideas on how to fix this?

I was thinking maybe the metal banding used for plumbing hanging?

I’ll take all the advice I can get!!!
FF1327BC-F36C-4D4A-A59A-EA56EA902EAF.jpeg
88BC4898-ECEB-4C1A-A974-D5CEEDCD6619.jpeg

Though you might want to get something a little more rigid, if you get the kind that has the solid strap that's preformed to wrap around a pipe, that pre-formed solid part would probably work fine. The part with the predrilled holes might not line up quite right if you use that section and the holes will make it weaker. I think about any mild steel of about the same thickness could be hand-formed to match what's there.

When forming a tight loop like that, I form a piece of stock into a U shape, select a drill bit of the originals parts diameter to place in the U, set it into the jaws of a bench vise, and tap the back of the U with a hammer while slowly squeezing it closed to form the circle. Drill the holes after it has been formed. Conduit straps work really well for this.

I doubt if it needs to be two sided. "Midget" cable clamp at Lowe's
halex-conduit-fittings-26214-64_1000.jpg

I doubt if it needs to be two sided. "Midget" cable clamp at Lowe's
View attachment 130516
So, I hit Lowe’s to check this out. -the dimensions on this are pretty good, but unfortunately the metal is just slightly thicker than a beer can!!!!

So, scratch that! I was in a pinch for time so I need to go back. I think the non-drilled pluming hanger with a custom drilling by me is going to be the way to go.

So, I hit Lowe’s to check this out. -the dimensions on this are pretty good, but unfortunately the metal is just slightly thicker than a beer can!!!!

I think what you really need to look at are electrical conduit straps. They are pretty beefy, compared to items you find in the plumbing section. Be ready to perform a little 'blacksmithing.'

031857429010.jpg

I think what you really need to look at are electrical conduit straps. They are pretty beefy, compared to items you find in the plumbing section. Be ready to perform a little 'blacksmithing.'

031857429010.jpg
actually, the clamp @RivNut recommended was in the electrical department, I saw the conduit straps you pointed out as well. Super beefy! Although, so, beefy they wouldn’t fit. I could buy a larger strap, cut it, bend it and drill it to be like the thinner wire clamp... I think I can do that, but they were substantially wider so I’d have to cut both length and width.

I was in a pinch for time, so next time I go, I’m buying something and budgeting more time!!!! Thanks for your input and help!

Keep looking in plumbing and electrical. Conduit clamps are kinda light. Look at EMT and black pipe hangers, the tubing is heavier, the clamps are heavier.
It may not be a perfect fit, but something that can be modified with hammer, vice grips etc.

Latest posts

Back