BO15 One GIANT Leap

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought this old Giant off GovDeals for $5. My local landfill lists lots of bikes there. I say old, not compared to the vintage rust most of you are building this year, but an 03 just the same. A 17 year old left for dead Giant I purchased to build into an everyday rider. Everyday rider you say? Yes- it’s that time ladies and gents. Getting old is no fun and this old man Is getting a bit round as well. Just needed something with gears that will still turn heads around the block or at the beach. A simple sand and paint, new bars, shifters, brakes, cables and some fat ... 26x3 white walls. (they did fit) Expecting my laid back seat post this weekend from Chad @ Chop Shop Customz. All that will be left will be deciding on a seat and maybe a light??? Not sure.
I know she’s not a 2020 RRB Buildoff winner but I enjoy sharing my creations. Almost as much as I like checking out everyone else’s sweet builds! That’s all I got. See ya in September! Rat-on!
AFBF23E6-0AB9-4577-984C-B0E14B46C13E.jpeg
134D7103-5E5F-49E7-86E1-D96F942C5109.jpeg
C38C1274-3692-438B-93D0-69EAA13791A8.jpeg
300C4636-D652-41E7-B144-D7A43D6A98B8.jpeg
19CCD085-2A85-4C70-951D-8B8E20CADA15.jpeg
EE8A3929-C571-4AE4-8550-B10EB93D5EE7.jpeg
08F2B9D3-BF0E-4003-9924-5F5509C3F59B.jpeg
487E2E46-A723-437F-871C-2769EA894F19.jpeg
71F3322D-222A-4670-957E-AA660CCDC62C.jpeg

I dunno man, there are a few weirdos around here that actually enjoy mountain bikes. And with a paint job like that and serious parts like the layback you have on order, you might have something special on your hands!

lzCdbhiP_400x400.jpg

Now how'd that get there?!

Cool beach bum concept carried out on a mtb rig! Those big WW's look good squeezed into that satin black frame. A little 'pop' with the bright green don't hurt any either!

Keep posting, give us some tips about how you did the sticker removal, frame prep, what type of bars those are (did you paint them too? ) , etc. That's all part of the fun. :grin:

Well.....since you asked, the cruiser bars are 34” equipped with a new set of Sram Grip Shifters. Used the original adjustable gooseneck and sprayed the set matte black to match the bike. The tires are 26x3 Duro Beach Bums mounted on the original Giant rims. To my surprise the original decals were not decals at all. They were painted on the bike. That made it super easy to remove. Just sanded the entire frame down to bare aluminum and rattle canned on the matte black. I got lucky and found the green decals on Etsy via the Royal Mail straight from the UK. Colors came together nicely. Have no idea what I’m doing for a seat yet. I want to see the new post on the bike before I decide. It’s a laid back post- feel free to throw out some ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With your look you have going, maybe a big ol' beach cruiser type saddle with some springs underneath that will help give the rear of the bike some 'weight' to balance it out?

Follow up on OddJob's suggestion, these seats are pretty nice, I've used 2 of them. The logo comes off with acetone or carb cleaner. Pretty good price and the quilting is different.

I really like this build, good vibe going. When you said older Giant - I was hoping you snagged a set of the magnesium body forks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200710-190110_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200710-190110_Chrome.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 72
Welcome to BO15.
You made fast work of this upgrade. Looking good.

Follow up on OddJob's suggestion, these seats are pretty nice, I've used 2 of them. The logo comes off with acetone or carb cleaner. Pretty good price and the quilting is different.

I really like this build, good vibe going. When you said older Giant - I was hoping you snagged a set of the magnesium body forks.

Not a bad choice Indy- also affordable and readily available. If I didn’t like it I could use it on another build. Might give it a peek

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly with that frame I think it would be better built around standard mtb geometry. I love it, almost can't believe those tires fit, but not o sure about the moon bars. I think it would work better with moto bars and maybe a narrower and higher seat, more ridden than sat on.
But awesome work and result, it took me a minute to realize I am looking at the same frame, I thought I switched between tabs.

Latest posts

Back