One of those days...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattiThundrrr

Rattus All Terrainus
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just got a new chain breaker tool! How exciting! Oh the opportunity to learn and move several projects forward! What's that, Friday the 13th? Silly superstition, to the garage!
First chain I tried to open:
IMG_20190913_121216131.jpg

Yup, one of the tabs to support the chain snapped off. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Lesson: don't buy cheapo CCM bike tools.

The second chain I opened:
IMG_20190913_121251878.jpg
Why, yes, that IS an openable link two links over from the one I busted. Lesson: pay attention to what you are doing!

Screw this, I'm going back to bed.

I have busted tabs on every chain tool I have ever had. From what I hear, it's worth spending a few dollars more to get one made by Park (the higher-grade one, apparently they make two different levels). It's on my list of tools to buy.

Yeah, I went down to the LBS, drooling over all the Park Tools. The aphorism is true when it comes to tools: buy expensive and cry once, buy cheap and cry twice.

Breaking the chain should always be done with the outside of the chain resting all the way on the outside of the tool. That tab is for loosening a link that has just been pressed together and will be tight.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Using-a-Bike-Chain-Tool/

That actually looks like a nice tool with the adjustable stop screw. That's what your chain should be against when you're pressing out a link.

Breaking the chain should always be done with the outside of the chain resting all the way on the outside of the tool. That tab is for loosening a link that has just been pressed together and will be tight.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Using-a-Bike-Chain-Tool/

That actually looks like a nice tool with the adjustable stop screw. That's what your chain should be against when you're pressing out a link.
The chain wouldn't fit on the outside slot on the Sunlite I bought...until after I broke the tab off.

You can see where the tab used to be in this photo, and that the "outside" space is not enough for a normal chain
20190915_114129.jpg

The adustable "stop" was adjusted to where it's at in the photo. Not sure why the tab broke.
Still works though, even without the tab.

The only park they had was mini one attached to a multi-tool.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back