opinion on bike for wife

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im trying to get my wife to to ride with me.i dont want to go all out on a high quality bike at first ,so im looking at craigslist and narrowed it down to two chinese (i think) bikes
1.columbia sportwear cruiser
2.huffy newport
i can get em for 50 a peice, they are clean.what do you guys think?shes into 30s-and 40s hot rods so ill have to customize it some any way.
columbia is a straight tube design
huffy cantilever

I'd go for a canti frame especially if she's into old hot rods. In the early 70s we had a 65' gmc truck. My uncle got a deal on it cus he bought it before the guy painted it. It was in pink primer. We never painted it and it was my grandma's pink truck. I think a pink primer bike could be a cool way to go. Also Dr tank did what he called the lois lane bike with comic book art on the fenders (which idea i'm totally gonna steal when i get a chance) maybe u could do some wonder woman art if she's into that.

Forget the cheap entry level approach.
Go very high end so if she loves it you can get sympathy toward your own high end bike. If she don't get into it, you get her high end bike and points for wanting the best for her!

Win win! :D

Cheapest bike possible until she proves she's a biker. If she passes muster, build her good one.
I put together a beautiful Starlet for my wife using all my best parts and she's only ridden it 2 or 3 times in the last 15 yrs. :( Gary

I ended up getting her the Columbia .it has some cheesy sticker pinstripes,but it has bobbed fenders and it looks kinda cool.she loved it ,so I'll do a lil bit to it and see if the interests hold.

Slinginrods said:
I ended up getting her the Columbia .it has some cheesy sticker pinstripes,but it has bobbed fenders and it looks kinda cool.she loved it ,so I'll do a lil bit to it and see if the interests hold.
Man I sure hope Momma approved it first!
I learned with woman a long long long long, oh sorry, it's what they want!
Years ago I built a touring frame into an urban assault(long before there was such a thing) vehicle and my girlfriend at the time decided it had the look. It was and still is 3"s to big for her but she believes bigger is better, hence her string of men since me.
But she still has that bike!!! Rides it regularly.
My current woman has an artist's eye, if the colors aren't a perfect complimant she will not ride it, so I paint the question marks black, all black. "Murdered out," is the street slang term for safe colors in my house!!!
Best of luck to you my friend, I ride alone alot. IPOD is your friend!

come on, ladies, i know we have female members here, so lets hear YOUR thoughts. im sure many of us would be interested in your opinions.

My only advice is, keep it simple. Build a functional, clean ride.

It needs to be something she can jump on and ride, without worrying about springer forks or wide tire rubbing, etc... You know, all the things we accept as 'quirks' or 'design features'... :mrgreen:

Bottom line, it needs to be fun. As for color, let her pick it out.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Dr. T

My wife rode a 4 speed Schwinn cruiser for the longest time, then when we bought a townie 7, she liked the hand brakes / more speeds / handle bar position better on the townie. It is kind of hard for some to stand up and pedal when needed though so she thinks she wants a bike without the pedal forward crank. She's also concerned with having a "cute" bike, she's looking at an Electra ticino 7/8 and a Linus roadster 8 right now. Both aren't very cheap options but she's ridden enough she deserves something nicer.

She decided on black for everything,so right now I'm waiting on the paint stripper to do its thing.after its painted ,it'll get a nice comfy seat and fresh tires,new chain and some pin striping .she also wants a basket on the front,just to " girl it up some" as she said.ill post pics of the build soon.

I'm looking to get a mixtie frame for my wife. French bikes have girl street cred. But whatever gets your wife out there is great.

Latest posts

Back