Opinion question - Legal or no?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been thinking of putting one of the Whizzer style kits on my Schwinn. I asked at the DMV and they said if it was under 50cc no license was needed. I asked later at the state trooper station and they said any gas motor device had to be registered and you had to be licensed to operate. I have a 50cc Honda Express scooter that was owned by my mom and it is licensed just like a motorcycle. I am in Austin Texas and have seen a few of these on the road. Is there anyone here who has gone through this?

I'm an attorney in Indiana and often deal with driving and traffic offenses. The majority of issues stem from a miscommunication between the motorer and the DMV. Get educated on your state's classifications and regulations (each state is different.) Go thru the relevant statute, generally can be found online at your state's official website. Then I'd recommend contacting the DMV in your state, no matter what is said to you at the time of the conversation, try and get authorization in writing and keep it with you. Just because an DMV gives you a set of marching orders does not mean your local officer is not going to have a different interpretation of the regulations. And for God sakes don't over indulge in the drink on a motorized bike, it'll be the difference between a public intox and a driving while intoxicated

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Here in NC, we just had a law passed that require ALL mopeds, scooter, etc, even under 50cc to be registered, taxed, and tagged. Still don't need a license to operate though, as far as I know.

Whizzers, in general must be tagged and insured. Whizzer displacement is over 130cc. In Texas, plan on getting the Whizzer a tag and insurance.

That's kind of what I thought too. I have seen a few of them in downtown Austin without tags, but I figured the guys were just not bothering to tag them.

It's not a matter of opinion. Check the dmv site for laws. You will likely need to register it and have at least a car class license. In ca the form is for a motorized bike but on the registration it said its a moped. Go figure. The reg application asks 4 questions that need to be answered yes to; auto? Under 4hp? Has pedals? Under 30mph? If yes to all it's a motorized bike. As long as you follow the rules of your state and wear a motorcycle helmet nobody will ever bother you.

Latest posts

Back