(ORBO) Bomber 40 'Special finished

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalchewy

For the love of the Ride 🚲 🔥
Pro Member
Reaction score

VIDEO

This is now one of the most Fun rides that I have.

When I picked up the frame last summer I thought it was a Rollfast. Its a 40 Snyder Frame is all I know for sure.

I initially put it together as a basic ballooner last summer, and tore it down for the OffRoadBuildOff as my starting point.

I added an 00's Suspension Fork and some CST Rock Hawks and picked up some 3G KT2 wheels and a 22t cog to go with them.

Black Ops Crank and Redline pedals with a 44t up front driven by a KMC Kool chain. The two speed kick back makes it comfortable up hills and riding the trail.

I had an old french Sprint Saddle dried and tore beyond repair that I reskinned to make a comfortable ride when on the trail.

SR MTS 101 Neck matched perfectly to the knurls on a set of Honda XL250 Bars. FitBikeCo gum grips for comfort in extremes.

Painted with a classic style dart and two tone Cast Iron/Black Pearl Metallic paint with copper accents.

This bike is a Blast!

Last edited:
You have set the bar high on this build MC! Everything about it from the wheel / tire combo, bar / stem combo, saddle recover, classy paint job...well done! And, welcome to the Finished line....:41:

Great bike! I thought all Snyder bikes were Rollfast. Did they have another brand?
Thanks wildcat

http://www.proteanpaper.com/scart_results.cgi?comp=howiebik&part=D.P.Harris Hdwe Co

DP Harris branded a few, even a few Hawthorne were Snyder frame. The bike could be a zenith which had a few vertical pin setups, maybe a hardware store brand belknap was suggested at one point, if I find a badge that fits, eventually that may be what it becomes. .
You have set the bar high on this build MC! Everything about it from the wheel / tire combo, bar / stem combo, saddle recover, classy paint job...well done! And, welcome to the Finished line....:41:
Thanks OddJob. Great compliment from a great builder.

Building... riding...

Great bike! I thought all Snyder bikes were Rollfast. Did they have another brand?

"COMPANY HISTORY:
The D. P. Harris Hardware and Manufacturing Company of New York City was established in 1895 and was renowned for many products, especially Rollfast bicycles, tricycles and roller skates. The bikes were sold under such names as Princeton, Harvard, Savage, Roamer, Gold Medal, Rex, Peerless, Century, Peerless, Standard, Royal Flyer, Champion, Lexington, Black Beauty, Fleetwood, Blue Ribbon, Cadet, Winchester, Keystone, Ben Hur (also used by Schwinn) and Puritan. They also made bikes for the Pep Boys automotive stores. In the 1890's Mr. Harris became a distributor of the Reading Standard Bicycle and established a factory to produce bike and skate parts including ball bearing. This may have lead to the Rollfast name and explains why the ball bearing was featured on the head badge through the 1950's. The H. P. Snyder Company of Little Falls, New York started manufacturing circular ring knitting machines in 1895, the same year that Harris established his company. Snyder, and his partner Fisher, began producing a high quality line of bikes under the "S & F line" name. The company reorganized in 1899, with the retirement of Fisher, and renamed the H. P. Snyder Manufacturing Company. In the early 1900's Snyder had 300 bikes that he was unable to sell. Harris offered to sell the bikes and had sold them in less than a week. A partnership was born.

By 1917 The Snyder Company was producing bikes and bike-related items only. They later added wagons and trikes. A second location was acquired in Michigan City, Indiana. During the Great Depression the Snyder Company was hard hit. Harris and Snyder agreed that the Snyder Company would market their bikes directly to large department stores such as Montgomery Wards who sold the under the Hawthorne name. The Cleveland Welding Company also supplied bikes to Wards. This move benefited the Harris Company since they supplied parts, such as handlebars and sprockets, which were made at the Reading plant. The Hawthorne bikes also used Torrington pedals and U.S. Royal tires which were distributed by the Harris Company."

This is now one of the most Fun rides that I have.

When I picked up the frame last summer I thought it was a Rollfast. Its a 40 Snyder Frame is all I know for sure.

I initially put it together as a basic ballooner last summer, and tore it down for the OffRoadBuildOff as my starting point.

I added an 00's Suspension Fork and some CST Rock Hawks and picked up some 3G KT2 wheels and a 22t cog to go with them.

Black Ops Crank and Redline pedals with a 44t up front driven by a KMC Kool chain. The two speed kick back makes it comfortable up hills and riding the trail.

I had an old french Sprint Saddle dried and tore beyond repair that I reskinned to make a comfortable ride when on the trail.

SR MTS 101 Neck matched perfectly to the knurls on a set of Honda XL250 Bars. FitBikeCo gum grips for comfort in extremes.

Painted with a classic style dart and two tone Cast Iron/Black Pearl Metallic paint with copper accents.

This bike is a Blast!

You're quite the artist....a piece here, a part there and you have a masterpiece. Cool looking ATB

Awesome bike, love the tire and wheel combination and those bars on that stem are awesome too! [emoji106]

Luke.
Thanks Luke, I appreciate the compliments. I think they all fit together well!!
You're quite the artist....a piece here, a part there and you have a masterpiece. Cool looking ATB
Thanks 1oldbikelover, Masterpiece, I like it. Someone mentioned that on last Sunday's bike cruise as well.
o_O
Out of this world. :android:
Outstanding.:41:
Thanks Deorman [emoji605] [emoji106] [emoji468]
I love the subtle, effective classic paint job. The gooseneck is a work of art, too. Bravo!
Thanks SDFrame
Cool!!

Posted a vid or two on post #2 and build link.

Building... riding...

Last edited:
That last photo is a keeper. Frame it, and look at it when you can't actually get out and ride the bike!
That's a good idea. I have a few pics that could would look good blown up and grouped on the wall. That one of TorRed under the tree, and one of Nuthin Special's Shadow shot.

Building... riding...

Couple of nerdy action shots and a view south to north in Red Rock.

A bit bumped and bruised outta this one. Those cacti, Yucca and Joshua trees pos pretty unforgiving hazards...
81ceb8d11bbd39cb7694335095607ab2.jpg

Building... riding...

Looks like you found a Christmas cactus that has evolved into an Easter one! That bike is very photogenic.....looks good from every angle. Nice day for a ride from the looks of it, got me missing the desert a bit. Big thaw going on up here though, 60's for a few days this week....mtb riding on the horizon.

Thanks OddJob, I agree, very Photogenic. I painted it metal tones plus leather, seems to match mountain, desert and all colors of rock and vegetation so far.

That is the famous Rubber Ducky Tree, and that joshua tree is near the top Rubber Ducky Trail. People take rubber ducky's up to it and tie them to it. Saw one dated a week ago. I forgot to bring one.

Building... riding...

Latest posts

Back