(ORBO) Monkey Mania

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funkme

𝐰𝐰𝐰.𝐟𝐫𝐮𝐢𝐭𝐜𝐚𝐤𝐞.𝐧𝐮𝐭
Reaction score
Looks like I will enter another bike .
This is the feral kid I wanted to build the orbweaver for in the Muscle comp,but I sort of lost interest,as I wanted to build a ruff-nut bike for this kid.Marco or Marco Junior is 3-4years already trying to pop wheelies and well !!!.
This was us cycling around the dam before the rain.
DSCN6051.JPG
Mj trying to pop wheelies
DSCN6041.JPG

I need to upgrade his bike.
1- He has to pedal like mad to keep up.
2-Every time he turns the pedals are so low,they hit the ground,and it throws him off balance.
He can ride a 20" but needs help getting on/off
So was thinking to either try and fit some 18" on this bike,or remodel a girls frame,he has to be able to get on off,ride it,and keep up with us,and have fun.
He rides his sisters bike,with ease.
DSCN6048.JPG

Any inputs would be great.Will check and see what frames I have.

About 20 yrs ago (yeah, I'm old) when my youngest was 4, I found a "squashed frame" 20" bmx bike made by Dyno / GT I believe. It had 20" wheels, but the top tube on the frame was positioned lower for stand over and mount / dismount. Not sure if they are still around? Worked great for him!

It looks like it is a 12" he is riding now? If you cant find a 20" to work, a 16" might be just right...

Other option would be to modify a 20" to give it the low top tube and seat stay style of a dirt jump bike, the top tube and stays on some of them are a straight line from headtube to rear axle... I know you have the skills to build an awesome looking mini dirt jumper Funk!

Like this but do it to a 20":

dirtjump.jpg

Plenty of room to grow then too, just lift the seat as he grows...

Luke.

They got Walmart in Greece?
Ours is full of that frame style...
Just to look at.

Carl.

sent from my banana phone...

About 20 yrs ago (yeah, I'm old) when my youngest was 4, I found a "squashed frame" 20" bmx bike made by Dyno / GT I believe. It had 20" wheels, but the top tube on the frame was positioned lower for stand over and mount / dismount. Not sure if they are still around? Worked great for him!
20 yrs ago my youngest wasn't born yet but my oldest was 17...
ya ain't old yet... yer still ridin' bikes. ;)

Carl.

They got Walmart in Greece?
Ours is full of that frame style...
Just to look at.

Carl.

Nah! But they have cheap kids bikes,Carefour-Lidel etc...

Have a few ideas and you all up above are in my head...lol
Ok these are the frames I have.
A- 20" same as his sisters,could put 16-18 wheels
B- 16" complete bike just rusted out,could clean it up and add the triple tree forks from his 12"
C- I have 2 18" bmx frames,either use 16-18" wheels.
DSCN6055.JPG
DSCN6056.JPG
I think best to get him to hop on one to see the height.He has to be able to touch the ground,he is only knee high.
I like the frame of 16' if he falls off he wont crack the family jewels.Nothing worst than falling on a top bar.:43:
If I use the 16 frame,I can extend the drops to fit a 18" wheel,and the forks will fit ok.And add longer crank arms?
Like LTJ said its a 12' he is on now,he would be jumping up 4' anyway.

I like the 16, plenty of options there.

Another option, like the dirt jump style I was talking about:

funk bike.jpg

Probably end up no more work than extending the drop outs and will fit him for longer as he grows just by changing to a longer seat pole. I probably wouldn't paint it pink for him though!

Luke.

I like the 16, plenty of options there.

Another option, like the dirt jump style I was talking about:

View attachment 15361

Probably end up no more work than extending the drop outs and will fit him for longer as he grows just by changing to a longer seat pole. I probably wouldn't paint it pink for him though!

Luke.
:39: Good choices.
I believe it was blue originally,thats how they gave it to me... The red is the same frame...
So have a bit of thinking to do...:whistle:

I realize a complete day has passed for you and LTJ since your posting ^, but just putting in a couple cents here. :grin: Funk, you mentioned he was hitting the cranks on rocks or in corners, so even on a bigger frame I wouldn't necessarily think about making the cranks longer. His short legs don't need a longer lever, maybe just a bigger chain ring in the front. That way his seat to pedal ratio won't change, and yet he will suddenly be able to keep up with the "big bikes" better with bigger wheels and a larger gear.

I realize a complete day has passed for you and LTJ since your posting ^, but just putting in a couple cents here. :grin: Funk, you mentioned he was hitting the cranks on rocks or in corners, so even on a bigger frame I wouldn't necessarily think about making the cranks longer. His short legs don't need a longer lever, maybe just a bigger chain ring in the front. That way his seat to pedal ratio won't change, and yet he will suddenly be able to keep up with the "big bikes" better with bigger wheels and a larger gear.
That also crossed my mine and a great point OddJob.He seems to manage the 20" crankarm lengths,on the 12' he reminds me of a hamster on a wheel at 100 miles per hr.I was exhausted just watching him...

That also crossed my mine and a great point OddJob.He seems to manage the 20" crankarm lengths,on the 12' he reminds me of a hamster on a wheel at 100 miles per hr.I was exhausted just watching him...
Spin to win as we always used to say when I was racing! And I'm pretty sure my 60 yr old knees are still able to hold up under the climbs because of that! This is so cool that you are building this for him. Someday, maybe many years from now, he will remember this and pass it on to another ....

Ok will be going with the little black frame with 16" wheels.
Looks like just a clean up and maybe a paint job... He just touches the ground with the 16".
A idea would be to make it look like a motor x bike.As I notice he makes the sound of a motorcycle reving when trying to pop his wheelies...
I am glad I did not go ahead with the orbweaver as it was way to big,but on the other side,I could have entered and restored this.:39:
377846_10150375248609811_816021898_n.jpg

A fold up suspension bike!?!?

Carl.

Latest posts

Back