~@ OTHER SITES @~

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the12volt said:
Bicycle808 said:
I've always wondered why McDonald's doesn't forbid its customers from even mentioning Wendy's in it's dining room....

Because there's a wee bit of difference between a "mention" and a "transporter room" :wink:

Cheers,
Volt

:lol: Fair enough, but let's be real for a second: There's a huge difference between fast food and online forums. Most ppl tend to choose only one restaurant for their meal; I tend to have a bunch of windows and tabs open. At any given moment, I might have 2 forums open, along with email and an excel spreadsheet for actual "work"; I don't have to limit myself to just one online bike forum. I also play spades online, and I'm forever P'ing folks off b/c I take forever to play a card when I'm browsing RRB.

And, while I understand that a forum like this is a business, I also realize that we're not customers in any sort of traditional sense. McDonalds makes money when I buy burgers from them, and they lose an opportunity to make money if I go to Wendy's. OTOH, RRB makes money by selling ads to other businesses, like RuffCycles and PorkChop and questionable/shady outfits like True Torch. The ads sell due to traffic; typically, this is measured in "hits". If folks are promoting sites on other sites, it is likely that hits will go up for both sites. Even if that's not the case, it isn't likely to make the hits go *down* for anyone.

It's not like RRB has a bunch of members who are sitting at their computer, staring at the monitor, thinking "I hate RRB; I wish I could figure out a way to find other sites." If ppl are sick of RRB, they're going to click back on their browsers, and google up a different forum. (Or maybe just close the window and forget about online cycling communities in general.) If ppl actually *like* RRB, they might check out some links to other pages, but they're still going to come back frequently, *if they like the site*.

If ppl don't like the site, it's not b/c someone posted a link to another one. That's a totally different problem.

I'm suggesting that some flow-through between sites would benefit everyone. And, I'm also hinting that more ppl will like RRB, and keep returning here, if there were fewer rules and flags on the play whenever someone posts something "questionable". I get it that they cuss on UGV, and I'm not going to link it anymore b/c of that, vis-a-vis Rule #7. But I'm a bit flabbergasted that so many members (and not so much Steve) are acting like this thread is some sort of affront to RRB. I think that, when it comes to good stuff like bike-talk, more is better.

Let's spread the love :) .
-rob

I'm thankful for everyone's comments and suggestions about other websites to visit. As said a few times already, the more the merrier!

In reference to Yeshoney's avatar...once we sent the revised rules out we felt it was time to make sure folks were following them (yes his was pretty benign). One big issue we run into a lot is when someone "gets away with something," they are then used as examples to justify similar activities. It's pretty stupid and I hate that we have to do stuff like this, but if I gave you the keys to my Inbox for a week, you'd need therapy. :lol:

For the r-abbit censoring issue, I had added that word to system's word censor several weeks ago because we had a problem during last year's build off with people filling up member's build diaries with images of r-abbits and jokes about them. It was a running joke that was funny for a while, but then it started to annoy a lot of people.

I actually removed it from the word censor at one point about two weeks ago and...I'm telling the truth here, the forum is still blocking it even though it is no longer on the list. :lol: It's no longer on the word censor list and it still comes up blocked. My guess is that the system here is taking over. :shock:

I've chosen to run a clean site that will allow the most people to enjoy the hobby as possible. While I don't typically curse a lot myself, my main reasoning behind it is that I prefer not to read it constantly each day when monitoring the site. Do I care if people curse outside of this community...of course not, I have absolutely no say in the matter. In the 7 years that I've run this community, not one time has anyone contacted me asking me for more swearing and risque images. On the contrary, I've received dozen up dozens from folks thankful that have thanked me for keeping that stuff out.

Also, I've got absolutely no issues with the folks on the UGV. I've never met a single one of them and I'm not upset with any of them. It's a free country and they can do whatever is they want to there. I don't even care if they want to spend time talking about me and this forum...negatively or positively. It's theirs to what they will and I wish them the best of luck. :wink:

Running a large community isn't easy and inevitably people will disagree and often times get upset, but our goal here is to keep things focused on the bikes and to have a good time discussing them in a laid back friendly atmosphere.

Bicycle808 said:
Green P1 said:
I've always wondered why the people at McDonalds don't encourage their customers to go eat at Wendy's more often... Said no one ever.

I've always wondered why McDonald's doesn't forbid its customers from even mentioning Wendy's in it's dining room....

Not trying to start or extend a flame war but... For the sake of the analogy... I'd never heard of "Wendy's" until it was mentioned in this particular "McDonald's" thread. The fact that this thread wasn't Immediatly removed kinda nullifies the argument right?

To me (as a consumer that got boerd and decided to research a couple of restaurants) McDonald's is acknowledging that Wendy's exsists without actively telling customers to go buy their burgers. Wendy's is actively warning customers (be they in their own resturant or not) about the perceived lesser quality of Big Macs.

I like burgers.

in my garage i only use fine language and coarse sandpaper...or was it the other way 'round :lol:

Rat Rod said:
CeeBee said:
Now about these Walgoose Fat Bikes...... :D

Just be glad that the build off diverted the attention away from those silly things. :lol:

I had totally forgot about the build off starting today until after I returned home from riding my Fatbike which you can see and read all about it on my website :lol: :lol: :lol:

Steve you do an exceptional job in running this forum and it's longevity and membership are proof of that.

Green P1 said:
Rat Rod said:
Denton Independent Burger :mrgreen:

I like their beans too.

You'd be hard pressed to find a better burger in North Texas than Denton County Independant Hamburger. Fact.
Oh, I don't know. Have you ever had a Nobby Burger? Names lame, but best burger I've ever had hands down! https://plus.google.com/102023473539501 ... l=us&hl=en

Basically it goes like this: In Rat Rods house(site) I will respect his rules since it is his and he is the one who put all the effort in it so we could come and share a common interest. Same with any other site. It's common courtesy. Think of it as someone coming into your house and doing stuff you don't agree with. His site his rules. If you don't like them or can't abide by them, no one is forcing you to come to it. That said, I do like UGV and I will continue to support both of them, since they both have some really sweet bikes and good people. Both are different for different tastes. Life without variety gets kind of dull.
No need for drama. This is supposed to be fun. If it isn't, maybe it's time for a new hobby.
Group hugs now? :p

Houndog said:
I've met you Steve....We even talked about me being in the UGV build off at the time...

Hey that's right, we did meet. I think you're the only one anywhere near this part of the world.

It was good to meet you at the show last year and your bike was killer. That skull shifter was still one of my favorites. :wink:

DSC_0153.jpg~original

DSC_0245.jpg~original

Owell Getting back to my Original Post :roll: ,,Thanx for every ones input on the subject of other interesting sites
I was only interested in what everyone else was visiting as a curiosity . Ride ON !

RafaeL :wink:

http://www.allmywheels.co.nr sorry the .com is coming soon but the entire site is dedicated to bikes of all types with TONS of cool features for showing off your bikes, pics, videos, etc... entire site is mobiles friendly. Check it out let me know what you think.

Very interesting photos on that site. 8)

smokey4life said:
http://www.allmywheels.co.nr sorry the .com is coming soon but the entire site is dedicated to bikes of all types with TONS of cool features for showing off your bikes, pics, videos, etc... entire site is mobiles friendly. Check it out let me know what you think.

RatSphinx said:
Very interesting photos on that site. 8)

smokey4life said:

LOL, yea they are just place fillers for now until we can get things going a bit. Still working on our "myrides" feature, with gps buddy location for inviting others to your ride and whatnot. It will keep track of your bike rides via google maps, where you have been, keep track of your fastest speed, distance (mileage), average speed, etc.. You can also invite friends to your ride which will send them a buddy beacon of where you are at, they can respond to accept or decline your invitation and Tons of cool features for bike riders.

Also still working on the classifieds section for selling and trading bikes and parts (Will be live on the site within a couple days)

Latest posts

Back