Outskirtscustom's 1980 Dodge Van Project: parking solutions DEMOLITION!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think vans work great though. I will watch to see what you do with it! Good luck!

Well right now I'm going to try to get it and get it home then it'll probably sit there till spring when all the negative temps and snow is over with. Then I'll start cleaning it up and get it running and roadworthy, and not worry about looks till I know it will run and drive. Then try to find a new job because the self employed thing isn't paying too good these days. Then slowly over the coarse of the next few years it will start to take shape.

I finally got hold of the guy and made my first payment on the van and he said we'll work out the rest later. Really cool guy. But the van is mine! I also found out it is older than I thought (Made 10/79 so 1980 model year?) Also it's a round eye meaning it was a lower end model without any options and it's a short wheel base so parking will be easier! Needs a little TLC but it's a solid start. And with the single barrel carb on the slant 6 it shouldn't guzzle gas too bad. The inside is about as basic as basic can be, crank windows, 2 seats and a dashboard. Nothing fancy but nothing a screwdriver, wrench, and a can of WD-40 can't fix. Exactly how I like them... simple with no computer controlled modules with a million sensors to go haywire and cause problems. Back in the good old days when you didn't have an idiot light on the dash you just knew if you heard a clank or a tick you took it in.
090_zpsdeab3192.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah the inside looks good too, no cracks or peeling on the dash, seats look great (only has 2), it does have a small hole in the roof about the size of a dime where I think it had a CB antenna at one time but that shouldn't be hard to fix. Obviously needs a new plastic grill but I should be able to find one in a junkyard for a few bucks. Also needs one taillight lens but again not a big deal. Other than that the body is straight as an arrow and 99% rust free. All the doors open and close great with zero sagging. It's basically like a time capsule that was just opened.

That's what I have heard, pretty much bulletproof setup. Hope to put it back on the road and get lots more miles out of it.

Just playing with paint on the computer and thought maybe I could make the van a rolling billboard of self promotion and bicycle sales with a little rat rod style and not have to buy rims or anything custom just some paint, pinstripe, and whitewall tires. And if I get tires with the thin white stripe I could just paint them from the stripe inward and save some coin. Then paint the rims black with the stainless hub caps, maybe shine them up to give the look of the old baby moon wheels.
(Yes I'm a redneck on a tight budget)
vanmod_zpsf391d78c.jpg

Looking good!
Something to consider though Gloss black shows up every imperfection in the body and can get mighty hot in the sun, flat black is better at hiding imperfections but gets even hotter in the sun... Just something to think about...

If you are keen on a flat color and want the rat look, there is always red oxide... I think HotRodFlatz does just about any color you want in a flat paint too...

Luke.

I know it would get hot being black but I just don't think it would look as good any other color. I plan to tint the rear windows which will help and I'm going to add AC if it doesn't already have it. For the mean time there is 2 - 80 air conditioning... 2 windows down 80 MPH. Then there's wing windows. Also if I can find a few side doors in a junkyard that have the optional swing out windows instead of the fixed windows those might get swapped out to add a bit of ventilation for the back. Maybe some red velor curtains to accent the red on the exterior. I also know for sure I want a visor for the front of the van. As far as imperfections I don't care if it's perfect when it all boils down it's an old work van, it's never going to be a show car.

Last edited:
Well I took a trip to the local pawn shop to sell a few things and I got the van PAID IN FULL! All in all it cost me $250 and a .410 shotgun. Not bad if I do say so myself. Now just got to find a way to get it home. Gonna try to wait till it warms up a bit first.

I'd love to do that but I'm broke right now, I sold my Mongoose Beast to get the money to buy the van, The van hasn't seen daylight let alone road since 1987 so it's gonna need some work before any long trips, Then got to get money for plates, insurance, tax, title, and all that, then have cash to spend on bikes...lol. I'm a ways off from any long trips or bike buying adventures. Probably let it sit till spring then get it running and driving and slowly start buying bikes from the scrapyard to fix and flip like I do every summer and hopefully have it going and on the road by next fall.

Well cleaning out the van I found a few interesting things,
Original owner's manual
IMG_2498_zps42811ab3.jpg

Warranty papers... The warranty expired the year I was born!
IMG_2500_zpsb3a2d8f7.jpg

Even the original build sheet!
IMG_2497_zps9cc027f0.jpg

That is sweet. You couldnprobably find some old cregar ss's for it. Check ot vanning.com

BMX Team Vans :)

Attachments

• post-3868-133193543301_thumb.jpg
    post-3868-133193543301_thumb.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 182
  • post-1103-129178004454_thumb.jpg
    post-1103-129178004454_thumb.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 247
  • post-1103-133104787578_thumb.jpeg
    post-1103-133104787578_thumb.jpeg
    20.2 KB · Views: 187

Latest posts