Outskirtscustom's 1980 Dodge Van Project: parking solutions DEMOLITION!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where I worked that color scheme also included grey-green. Possibly the radio company bought it after the phone company retired it.

14c1b39222478c72dd19d689530a847a.jpg

That is sweet. You couldnprobably find some old cregar ss's for it. Check ot vanning.com
Thanks! I have been looking for a good van forum to pull ideas and inspiration from.

Where I worked that color scheme also included grey-green. Possibly the radio company bought it after the phone company retired it.

14c1b39222478c72dd19d689530a847a.jpg
Cool, I might look into that, I know this one sat in a garage since 1987 so it was only 7 years old when parked Would they have retired it within X years of new and then the radio place also retire it? Maybe the radio place did that to mimic the bell van look. Either way I love it and it won't be staying that color.

Cool, I might look into that, I know this one sat in a garage since 1987 so it was only 7 years old when parked Would they have retired it within X years of new and then the radio place also retire it? Maybe the radio place did that to mimic the bell van look. Either way I love it and it won't be staying that color.
There are several factors for retirement. Miles, age and repair costs. Who knows. If it were a bell van I'm sure at some point you'll find a a clue. Good luck with it.

I look at a bunch of commercial vans for work. Most are either bought in bulk or leased, the will usually be used as Randy says, to a certain mileage or for a set # of years. Usually retired(sold) before the value is ran out of them. Then either auctioned off in private auctions to other companies or to the public (Fed Ex guys usually grab them up around here), sometimes they are just shuffled to sister companies too and then sold when they're looking rough or are getting costly to maintain. Sometimes you'll find some sort of supervisors vehicle, not really put to hard use but will generally be kept longer. They usually make sure their stuff is taken care of. Doesnt have to be that way, but thats what I see a lot of with utilities companies.

Well I went over to where my van is and got to work trying to get the wheel to roll (wheel locked up from sitting) and I didn't get that to happen yet but I got some more pictures for you guys to drool over.

This is the WORST of the rust it has in front of the driver's side rear wheel.

I think the guy's wife had a brush with a garage door...lol easy fix though.

When's the last time you saw a dash this clean?

Inside wheel wells

driver door bottom and rocker

I cleaned the shift knob with some spit and it's not a 4 speed, it's a 3 speed with OverDrive

Kinda dark but you can see the back

Seats are in GREAT shape

And save the best for last... Eat your heart out

That white stuff would be snow, It's an Indiana thing you wouldn't understand...lol. The whole body is in great shape not just the wheel wells, not to mention 38,432 original miles! When did it have time to get dents? The clutch, brake, and gas pedals look new certainly would not be the case if the odometer had been rolled over! Not to mention the driver seat would show MUCH more wear and the odometer numbers would not line up perfect as they do. Just keeps getting better and better. I think it's still sitting on the original tires!

Van + Slant 6 + manual stick = worth fixing.:thumbsup:
My thoughts exactly + ANYTHING with only 38,000 original miles + 98% rust free + no cracks in dash = worth fixing

I'd be looking for a super t-10 to swap in it. I wonder if it has, what was mopars limited slip axles- sure grip?

I'd be looking for a super t-10 to swap in it. I wonder if it has, what was mopars limited slip axles- sure grip?

What makes the T-10 better than whatever is in it? I'd think for mileage the 3 speed with OD would be ideal.

Nah man, I like your style, vans I can dig too..

I would post a pic of my 88' Chevy van, that was slightly modified, but dang face book won't let me link it when I'm on my phone. Its white with a red stripe on the side no windows on sides and the rims are stock but powder coated red. And it has skull shifter and caps. Also I threw some carpet in. Gonna get wood for the inside later make a bed and panles.. Its a cargo Chevy van :)

Nah man, I like your style, vans I can dig too..

I would post a pic of my 88' Chevy van, that was slightly modified, but dang face book won't let me link it when I'm on my phone. Its white with a red stripe on the side no windows on sides and the rims are stock but powder coated red. And it has skull shifter and caps. Also I threw some carpet in. Gonna get wood for the inside later make a bed and panels.. Its a cargo Chevy van :)
Sounds Awesome!

Probably nothing at all. Technically both are four speeds- it seems like the trans people want for old skool performaance.

I'd love to get my hands on a 76-89 econoline cargo. lowered, 351W, t-45 trans, black or graffiti mural.

you know what would be ironic; stickers on the driver door like they put on the bomber planes of cyclist you've 'taken' out.

Latest posts

Back