Oxalic acid

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The last word on organic acid restoration. I cannot find my previous thread and I worked my tail off today to knock this out
IMG_20201223_111852.jpg

I put a 110 year old fender in there too because I am a complete jerk and probably smarter than whoever deleted my thread just to be a jerk I updated my timeline in real time because I am fed up with people who cannot read scientific american for comprehension. These are the simplistic before and after photos. One hour in the organic acid bath
IMG_20201223_163655.jpg

IMG_20201223_175853.jpg
IMG_20201223_175652.jpg
IMG_20201223_180847.jpg
IMG_20201223_180512.jpg

If you use a phone, there is a pull down menu at the top (three little bars beside the RatRod Bikes heading), in there is a link to "Your Threads" which will take you to a list of every discussion you have started. You may have to click a down arrow next to "Forums" to see it. I remember the thread, it had a lot of technical information on the process, would be pretty useful to recover it.
Screenshot_20201224-075733.png

Yes. I was reading that thread. Thanks for making it. Software these days can get frustrating.
I am impressed with your results, and liked the presentation. You brought up important issues regarding the chemistry of the process, that one should understand in order to get the best results possible.
A little data, an APP or website to do an easy calculation for you, and increased efficiency and effectiveness, well done.
Do you think Oxalic acid works better on paint than other similar acids that also work on rust? Citric and Phosphoric are both available and useful on rust. Most of my experience has been with Oxalic, and Phosphoric, but only on unpainted or totally worn tools and such. I never worried about paint restoration before.

I have had no luck with oxalic acid. For some reason it always leaves a non removable green residue on the steel. Instead I use white vinegar or phosphoric acid. Others have good results with oxalic acid but I can’t figure out how to avoid the thick green residue. Another acid did the same, maybe a yellow residue instead of green, but I don’t remember which one.

I have had no luck with oxalic acid. For some reason it always leaves a non removable green residue on the steel. Instead I use white vinegar or phosphoric acid. Others have good results with oxalic acid but I can’t figure out how to avoid the thick green residue. Another acid did the same, maybe a yellow residue instead of green, but I don’t remember which one.
You just need to switch to green bikes. :p

You guys are killin me I went into great detail about temperature, water quality, and acid demand in my previous thread. I mean I really legit read several published scientific journals and as if it matters and attempted to oversimplify it. I even mostly skipped the slide rule steps and the organic chemistry parts and referenced tool available on android that does all the fourth year water math for you. Hey not my fault. I didn't raise you. My 15 year old should have her first degree in 18 months. I even made a deep guaging jab at the effects of just water on rust if you leave it for days because that is what I do I legit get paid to tell people how water works but whatever, Happy new year

You guys are killin me I went into great detail about temperature, water quality, and acid demand in my previous thread. I mean I really legit read several published scientific journals and as if it matters and attempted to oversimplify it. I even mostly skipped the slide rule steps and the organic chemistry parts and referenced tool available on android that does all the fourth year water math for you. Hey not my fault. I didn't raise you. My 15 year old should have her first degree in 18 months. I even made a deep guaging jab at the effects of just water on rust if you leave it for days because that is what I do I legit get paid to tell people how water works but whatever, Happy new year
Where I live it’s cold. So, temperature control is out. If it fits in a five gallon bucket it goes in the bathroom. Or, I have occasionally put a frame in a snowmobile tow behind big plastic sled and left that covered most of the winter. I have destroyed some parts (Chain and fork). I have also put parts in a plastic garbage can outside in acid for part of the winter. I worried about children getting into it. All this works, but you have to inspect it or your left with holes. Gotta be strong acid concentration for winter outside or it freezes. I have used cheap on sale cola in a bucket in my garage in winter. This works good but because it’s almost frozen it works slow. This lack of any warm temperature might be why I have had bad luck with anything besides white vinegar or phosphoric acid.

Latest posts

Back