Oxalic acid

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was a test piece before I started this.
this thing is very sun faded but I going to just soak the whole thing and then clear coat it.

Soaked the chain guard for a while, cant wait for it to dry so I can clear coat it.

Wow, impressive!
Is there a ratio of water to acid you have to use? It's a powder, right?

Very nice job, Dragnusa. I've had good luck with the powder oxalic acid they sell at the True Value hardware. Good to know that the liquid produces similar results....

Last edited:
Does anyone know how this stuff works on chrome? I have a chrome Sears Spaceliner with some rust that I am trying to address.

Does anyone know how this stuff works on chrome? I have a chrome Sears Spaceliner with some rust that I am trying to address.
http://weiman.com/Products/Silver-All-Metals/Metal-Polisher.aspx This works good on the chrome frames and rims.Pretreat the rust with WD-40 .Steel wool will dull chrome. I use http://choreboyscrubbers.com/Products/Ultimate Scrubbers Pure Copper.aspx . For old spoke nipples I use Weimans Metal Polish with a soft bristle brass brush the size of a toothbrush. But it will remove the galvanize from old spokes,so be careful.

Steel wool will dull chrome.

That's the first time I've heard that.
I've been using SOS pads followed by 0000 steel wool on chrome for years with great results and still have very shiny chrome. On pieces that have very old or cheap chrome I use polish after to bring a good shine back but that is rare.

Thought Id do a post showing what oxalic acid will do for those old rusty parts. This is at about 1 to1 mix for 2 hours
Cool old chain guard looking rather rough.

Same chain guard after the soak then rinsed off with water and green scrubby
Great results!

Luke.

OA works very well on chrome. Do not use any abrasive on chrome. e.g. steel wool, any metal brush, etc... Chrome will get "hazy" or worse. OA and a soft towel will do wonders. I've also seen very good results with a vinegar soak. With either, be careful not to allow to soak too long. Both are acids and will remove the good metal too if allowed to soak too long. Also, with a frame, make sure that you won't get OA inside of some tube and then not be able to remove or flush it out.

Latest posts

Back