P-40 Warhawk "Tex" Hill...maybe Next Year

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: P-40 Warhawk "Tex" Hill..update, Leather Tank Sewn

Did some sewing today with my new Cobra class 3 machine and was able to finish the left tank side i've been working on. Went with the 4 stitches per inch setting as it's a common lengh among holster makers when using large bonded nylon thread. This machine is capable of handling heavy thread and large needles that can sew almost one inch of leather. I've tried 3/4 inches of stacked leather and it punches through it like butter at a very slow controlled speed. Just can't get over how impressive this thread size 346 looks on this project. I'm very happy with my machine purchase.

Will do a test fit at day break.

Re: P-40 Warhawk "Tex" Hill..update, Leather Tank Stitched

It sews up to an inch of leather???? HOLY SMOKES :shock:

I now have tool envy :lol:

Re: P-40 Warhawk "Tex" Hill..update, Leather Tank Stitched

Rockit! said:
It sews up to an inch of leather???? HOLY SMOKES :shock:

I now have tool envy :lol:
Have not had a chance to sew almost one inch of leather yet but here is the sample piece thats near 3/4" thick. About 11 pennies stacked high to compare. The leather tank edge is 1/4" thick that I just burnished the edge on.

Over the past few months i've been buying leather tools to start a small part time biz producing leather goods. Was searching for something different to make and i'm glad I came up with this cool idea. Will be making tanks for most vintage bike frames in many diffent colors to match ones ride soon. I've been in contact with a local vintage bicycle collector that is gonna let me measure out some of his prized bicycle frames. Anyone interested in something similar can PM me for details. Chris

Left side tank installed.

Re: P-40 Warhawk "Tex" Hill..update, Leather Tank Done

Beautiful work! The p40 flying tigers were a great group of pilots. Your leather work is outstanding. I grew up learning this craft from my father as well building archery quivers. It is becoming a lost art,I too am getting back into it after a 30 year break.bike is gonna be awesome!

That's a rugged machine. When my father in law closed his 3rd generation furniture refinishing & upholstery company we put our name on one of the old Juki machines, not sure if it will do an inch of leather but it comes in handy every now and then. Keep up the good work! I have an orig Zep frame (and a bare frame), awful tempting to get one of these but picking out a design would be agony for me, I can barely pick out paint colors :oops:

Again, thanks for all the kind words on this tank But....today after seing it mounted on the frame. After walking around the frame, I just wasn't content with some of my lines. That top curve just dosn't look right on my leather forming. Needs to be more curved & smooth to flow with the rest of this Fastback frame. It's too bad I didn't have an original steel tank to look at while carving the hardwood. Now it all needs to come down and get redone. Back to sanding the maple wood forms. Everyone who paints knows that primer or in this case, "wood" looks flat and tricks your eyes till you apply gloss and catch the reflections.
I'm sorry to all reading but i'm just hard on myself. If it's not right, It doesn't go to the customer and gets redone till i'm satisfied, no questions asked. That's how I did business before and will keep doing it till I'm gone. I Always represent the best of my abilities and if I can do it better, I will.

You can still hang that one in your shop as artwork!!

Re: P-40 Warhawk "Tex" Hill..update, Back To The Grind stone

from a fellow tooler, awesome stuff! I just started this year and thank you for sharing the knowledge on forming. I hadn't figured out how it was done and could not find a video on it.

thanks a ton for sharing your grandfather's knowledge.

here is my work: http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65418&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

kingfish254 said:
You can still hang that one in your shop as artwork!!
It will be more than just a wall hanger but a learning curve. Had been in such a hurry to complete this tank that I didn't get to add some carving skills to my wooden form. The new future hardwood forms will have the added carved out luver vents and other tank specific shaped details. Will be making a Schwinn DX style leather tank along side this Zep tank and it should be fun to make.

rat-a-tac said:
from a fellow tooler, awesome stuff! I just started this year and thank you for sharing the knowledge on forming. I hadn't figured out how it was done and could not find a video on it.

thanks a ton for sharing your grandfather's knowledge.

Had seen your laced up leather tank while doing a web search looking to see if anyone had produced my idea of a cased leather tank. You do great work. After my search came up empty handed , that's when I started my project.
Not sure what kinda leather tools you have but my Grandfather also made boots and I ended up with a few shoe making tools that work great for forming leather. Some tools have a Pat. date of late 1800's and are still being reproduced tody. Not much has changed in the past 100 years for leather working. Check ebay for those antique tools. I recently converted my home made shoe polishing work station to my leather burnishing/sanding station. The existing shaft was 1" thick, they don't make leather burnishers for that large size shaft. I contacted a wood burnisher maker and he was happy to turn me a custom wooden burnisher in my dimentions. He had never done one that size before so I have the first he's made. I'm able to really lay into this solid burnishing station and get fast results by utilizing both hands for better control. PM me if you need him to turn you a cocobolo wooden burnisher. I know i'm new to this craft but I must have better tools if I want to produce an awesome product. Have'nt made a single dollar yet but I have a vision.

Amazing! Not just the craftsmanship, but also the ideas! This is what this build off is all about! I can't wait to steal your tank idea.....uh....I mean see the finished project :mrgreen:

Got my forms re-shaped and ready for a second run. I'm pretty happy with the results and ready to start popping these first Zep leather tanks. I'm building these tanks to the highest quality level I can afford. Will hold my I-Phone and shades inside my unique leather tank case. Chris Fox

Re: P-40 Warhawk "Tex" Hill..update, wooden form done!

Round 2 is looking good!

that ia cool tank great job :D

Troy

Any progress?

Amazing :shock: :!: you do beautiful leather-wood work,update PLEASE.

kingfish254 said:
Any progress?
I've been busy getting my leather business (Skip-Tooth Leather) started that I haven't made any progress on my bike. I plan to spend all day this Saturday on it and will post pics soon. Chris

Awesome work & a great idea! 8)

Latest posts

Back