Paint questions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was wondering if any one else has ever had wrinkling problems with this primer. I have never used it before so not sure what is going on. I am suspecting it is just because the temps have been a little cooler then normal. Let it dry a good 24 hours and more on some of my parts and using a rustoleum top coat but still getting trouble. Thoughts.
photo_zps00443380.jpg

New regulation, they use butane in paints. I have had the same problem also! You need to keep painting the same day, 15 to 30 min. apart or wait week, or more if it's cooler out! The solvents wrinkling the paint.

I am with Rad Dyno,I now do the wet on wet method and my paint jobs turn out much better. I used to go too thick and let it cure for a day or two,the paint seemed to never cure properly. Now I can complete a bike in and afternoon,prep is the most time consuming.

I just ran into the same problem over and over again. Too much paint. Too thick when applied. Strip it down to the metal again and apply thin coats and wait at least a day for the next coat. I tried rushing and spraying thick coats and paid the price. It's gonna take you quite a few days to get good results but it will be worth the wait. The initial base coat will never dry so save yourself some heartache and strip it back down.

I am with Rad Dyno,I now do the wet on wet method and my paint jobs turn out much better. I used to go too thick and let it cure for a day or two,the paint seemed to never cure properly. Now I can complete a bike in and afternoon,prep is the most time consuming.

Can we get a step by step on your technique?

"No offense, but it may be that out of date paint you are using from Big Lots..there is a reason things from other big box stores end up there."

No offense taken. I usually do not buy stuff from these stories but thought i would give this primer a try.

I just avoid rustoleum primers. They have given me trouble no matter what I do or what steps I change. I can say that it is a thicker primer, and that likely means more thinner is needed to keep it at a somewhat sprayable viscosity while in the can.

if you can stil smell the paint fumes after 3 days it's not cured so i would wait a week befor handling , plus rustoleum seems to have more cure time !

Rustoleum is not the paint it used to be. Wrinkles unless you put lots of thin coats on 10-15 min apart. Can't use it in the cold. It comes off when you breath on it even after long curing and baking. This stuff is junk. I have a compressor and sprayer and even tried their Professional. Same result. This used to be good durable paint abut it is now junk. I smeared clear Gorilla epoxy glue all over my last Rusoleum paint job and it is more durable, but looks like a third grader painted it with a broom in th rain.
Agreed. Also found out that the same color is not the same in every can. I have one spot I had to patch and it doesn't match.

Latest posts

Back