Paint Stripper

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top Tip - What's the difference between these two products? The one on the left goes on quick, sprays acid, and will remove cheap rattle can paint, but is useless on quality paint. The one on the right goes on slow, with a brush, and will eat through pretty much anything - including skin. While the concentrated paint remover is nasty, it works fast and is simply more reliable than any other paint stripper I have tried.

10860856_10153203589914728_4031593027416485566_o.jpg

I've used both & agree the spray is pretty much useless. I always use the gel in the can. It also seems to work better in warmer temperatures. I just brush it on let it set a while, then use a power washer to blast it off. Sometimes on factory paint it will take a couple of applications.

I have found that if you scuff up the paint with a heavy duty scouring pad that aids the stripper getting into the paint and really eating it up. I also go over the area with a small brass or steel bristle brush after the stripper has started lifting the paint. Pick, your correct. When I stripped my frame for MBO I did it outside with the sun warming that frame up and it makes the stripper VERY active. Also, it cut my bill for powder coating $50. Since it was just some minor paint left he did the sand blasting for free.:113:
1219140024.jpg

1031141642a-1.jpg

Last edited:
I'm going to have to try scuffing it up first. Makes perfect sense to me. One other trick I learned from my son: on smaller parts (chain guards etc.) If you put it in a heavy clear plastic bag like the ones they put old batteries in at O'reilly's auto parts, it contains the fumes & works even better. I do my own sandblasting so I always use stripper first, then blast what's left over. I don't know of any stripper that works better & I have tried a bunch of them.

Latest posts

Back