Paint!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
What's a general process t doing say a two tone paint for you guys! Spray can...prep,primer layers,paint layers/sanding cure times? Clear coat sanding amounts and grit? Curious to here everyone's techniques maybe some one dose something you normaly don't...good way to learn a new trick!! Also if someone knows if an identical thread exists could they pass it on??

On my latest project, I used aircraft paint remover and got the frame down to bare metal...little bit of sanding with a 150 grit. Cleaned it up, primed it and painted. Then I hit it with a wet sand (800 grit), painted again....and wet sanded again with a 1250 grit....repainted.

Rey's pinche iPhone

I think another thing would be if others respond to add a photoblog finished products so we can tell the quality of ones techniques

Homie...only other way is to figure it out yourself! No disrespect but learning on the job is the best way...I had to learn the hard way myself on what methods worked the best...but the end result on what you feel is the final product and what you believe represents you and your style is the best!
qynera9a.jpg

Rey's pinche iPhone

one thing i found out about using rattlecan paint, once the paint is dry and you wet sand, let that dry again before you repaint or clear. the paint on top was cured but sanding down you get into paint that has not cured. the paint will wrinkle.

i know how man! just trying to get different opinions...like in all trades someone may know a trick you dont then it all makes scence! this was to be more of a learn a little trick you might not know thread...looks like it was a bust!

I understand what you was after an there are a lot of ways to do it if I do two tone my base coat is masked off then the next color is applied then I wet sand with 1200 grit then I do my clear that way I don't have a ridge an the paint is smooth

One tip that works for any type of spraypaint is to soak the can in hot water just prior to spraying...really helps the paint to flow smooth and even.

sleepy said:
One tip that works for any type of spraypaint is to soak the can in hot water just prior to spraying...really helps the paint to flow smooth and even.

I paint alot of bikes and spend alot of time on preperation and I always forget this tip ! thanks sleepy . I do sand with 800grit and 2000 grit, rub out with white compound using a damp cloth . Just have to let enamel set and cure for a while.
Great thread Black Crown !

038.jpg

001.jpg

sleepy said:
+1 good tip

A cool tip I saw in another thread: Tape over the base coat, then spray the base color over that to seal the edges of the tape. After it dries you can apply the second color without it bleeding under the tape.

that only works well if u are spraying lacquer or base/clear for base. Enamel skins when drying. Ya gotta pull the tape as soon as ya can when enameling. If ya wait for the first color to dry,then spray the other color, when ya pull the tape, ya have a great chance to pull off the paint. JMHO

Latest posts

Back