Painting Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Noob here just wondering if you all paint your own bikes or do you have it done professionally by a shop. I've rattlecanned a bike before, but it came out looking janky to say the least. I may give it another try with this new bike I just got. Or, I may just have it powder coated and pay the $200. Would love to hear your experiences.

I don't paint bikes very much because I like original paint but I have had a few bikes painted for people who wanted me to build a bike for them. I have a friend who paints cars for a living and he does the best paint I have ever seen. The Dragstripper is mine, love the lime green pearl.

you will never get the show look like you get from real paint then from a rattle can .
Some Powder coating places can do very good work and may be your best bet .
If your looking for a special color then paint may be your only option.

I paint my own Bikes and i'm looking into powder coating equipment .

assemble017_zps7310e98d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

What kind of car is in the background. Nice clean lines on the headlights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh and if you do paint your bike don't use rustoleum...its terrible and get wrinkly easy unless you want that look in which case i recommend using actual wrinkle finish paint

Powder coat shop is the way to it shouldn't be that much it was 50$ for mine

If you want to know what can be done with powder, look at Prismatic Powders (prismaticpowders.com)!!!

Also $200 is high for powdercoat only. If you have access to a blasting booth, the powdercoat should be between $50 and $85, depending on single or multiple coats! The prep work is what gets you! Gotta be c-l-e-a-n!!!!

In Sacramento, the cheapest quote was $200 for sandblast and powder coat. Still pretty expensive for me.

With those prices, I'm leaning towards rattle can. Maybe when I come into some money, I will get proper paint.

My frame was sooo pitted from rust that powder coat was out of the question. I had to spread body filler over some areas. Rattle can is all can afford so this is what I came up with using Duplicolor.
fe4c86841f2f72ff343eee2cb16a79d7.jpg
893dd27372014ac9a2f030ca63271dd5.jpg
785a7222aa66159025ed62e162684496.jpg
23297bd84664ec6e53a20cc60983b55d.jpg
da0578d2c84e965bde241d51f719c8b8.jpg
this was a total rust bucket, all rattle can spray paint.

94c86b5d5e9655a58e725e8f79013d3d.jpg

I have painted bikes with a gun. And I have rattle canned bikes also. If a bike is going to be a rider, it doesn't really call for a full on "professional " paint job. Also, all of the gun cleaning for primer, paint, color changes, etc. can be a real pain. With good preparation, a rattle can job can be very presentable! My wife loves her rattle canned Monark el camino.

IMG_1103.JPG

Latest posts

Back