Pair of Thrift Store Choppers...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I picked up a couple of choppers from a new thrift store that just opened up this past weekend. Got the pair of them for $50.00. I've had a couple choppers in the garage before but for some reason, I never kept them and haven't regretted selling them as of yet. I'm a BMX guy, so that may be why. :D Anyway, these were too good to pass up for the price. First up is this Empire 20" chopper that I have decided to too paint up in some sort of 70's style gaudy metallic colors. I just want to practice some ideas I've had in my head and this is a great canvas. This bike cost me $40.00 of the $50.00 I spent.

Wish I could figure out some way to rake it out more without cutting it up.

This one is the real gem in my mind. Nirve Switchblade with a 26" front and a 24" rear tire. This bike looks and rides amazing! This bike was $10.00! But there's a good reason why...

Well, here's why. The rear wheel hub was gutted and the rim was zipp-tied to the frame. All the hub internals were there in a baggie taped to the frame. But the worse part of it was the fork legs were bent to all Hades and back. Here they are:

I already replaced the forks and rebuilt the rear wheel and installed it. I had the new forks in the garage but it's two inches shorter then the originals. 34" vice 36". I've noticed that it seems to make the kickstand taller so it stands the bike up almost straight. I'm thinking I might trim the stand a half an inch or so to get the proper lean back on the bike.

plankowner said:
Wish I could figure out some way to rake it out more without cutting it up.

You can add rake to a frame by chopping and shortening the seat stays or lengthening the chain stays if you don't want to cut the neck. :wink: Also you can make new plates for the triple tree forks.

Latest posts

Back