Pana-SONIC

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Some of you may remember this one from the start of last years buildoff. We never got past the mock up, and the project has been sitting for yet another year. This year its on schedule to actually be completed.

Early 70's Panasonic Sport.
Velocity Chucker wheels
Alfine 8 rear hub
Custom rear disk brake bracket
Avid BB7 rear caliper
Sturmey drum brake front hub
NOS cottered crank

Spreading the frame to accept the Alfine hub

Spreading the fork to accept the Sturmey hub

Welcome back.
Love the wheelset!

Here's a few pics of the wheels, mock up after stripping the frame, and the wall of cranks. As it turns out I have a NOS cottered crank that's an exact match for the original.

As it turns out I have a NOS cottered crank that's an exact match for the original.

You have some nice parts. I really like that stem.

OctopusHook said:
Cool bike, I think we are having similar ideas for our builds. There is a lightweight sub comp if your interested... http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=72316
-Nate

Is anyone planning to make a thread available to fully keep track of the lightweights? I had noticed there were a few kicking around the build off this year.

Do you have a bike in the build I can check out?

PeterBuilt: Thank you! The stem is one of 2 Mutants I got on Ebay. Its definitely a bit unusual, which is why I liked it. I've seen them there from time to time, so it shouldn't be too hard to find more if you find your wanting one.

Re: Pana-SONIC (paint mock-up)

KingGhidorah said:
Just a quick shot of the paint mock-up:

The steel spots will be kept raw.

That photo looks familiar. Wasn't that last year?

I had the bike only up to this stage and had to abandon the project. So, since I really didn't do much more that strip the frame I put it back in for this year figuring I have the time to actually finish the bike. I don't believe its an issue since the bike was never built at all.

I just got most of the paint work done, so here's where its at now:

No worries. Looking cool.

I'm looking forward to the final product. I have a friend that does vinyl graphics, so I'm going to get some Panasonic logos for it too. Still have lots of pinstriping, etc to do as well.

Thank you! I'm hoping I can keep the bare steel from rusting now! LOL Gibb's oil to the rescue!

Latest posts

Back