PayPal Cash?

Sep 26, 2012
Chicago, IL
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Has anyone set up a PayPal Cash account? What's the deal with it?

Only found out because now PayPal wants my SSN before it hands over my money.

Sep 26, 2012
Chicago, IL
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No clue. I rarely use PayPal
Me neither. I sell some (mostly bike related) shirts and things online and usually just let the pennies stack up in the paypal account and then spend the few bucks I have in there whenever I happen to have if I ever need to pay for something with paypal.

But this time paypal is now saying I can't use that money unless I sign up for PayPal Cash, which looks suspiciously like a bank account.

Captain Awesome

Lord of Irrelevance
Pro Member
Aug 9, 2012
Sunny SC coast
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Never been a fan of them. They burned me for several hundred dollars back in their infancy and I swore them off for years. Just recently used them a few times

kingfish254

CHECK OUT MY SALE THREAD FOR COOL STUFF!
Pro Member
Aug 31, 2009
Historic Savannah
www.ratrodbikes.com
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I've never used PayPal Cash, but I have happily used PayPal since it started in 98. I bet I have thousands of transactions with it, both sales and purchases. My PayPal is tied to my checking account, but I never keep a balance on PayPal itself.

Reactions: Chainmaker2
Sep 26, 2012
Chicago, IL
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've never used PayPal Cash, but I have happily used PayPal since it started in 98. I bet I have thousands of transactions with it, both sales and purchases. My PayPal is tied to my checking account, but I never keep a balance on PayPal itself.
So why are the effers locking up my money. Probably some stupid illinois thing

kingfish254

Pro Member
Aug 31, 2009
Historic Savannah
www.ratrodbikes.com
Rating - 100%
129   0   0

kingfish254

Pro Member
Aug 31, 2009
Historic Savannah
www.ratrodbikes.com
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
It's been since 98 that I have had to deal with a new account, but I know from others that there may be some minimum requirements that PayPal needs before you can start using their services.

kingfish254

Pro Member
Aug 31, 2009
Historic Savannah
www.ratrodbikes.com
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I never keep a paypal balance, so I have what they call a Personal account. I always transfer money received straight to my checking. When I pay with paypal, it pulls money straight from my checking.

I just pulled this from their site. Looks like if you want to keep a balance with them, you have to set it up as a PayPal Cash account.

U.S. personal account holders who want to keep money in PayPal or use other features that rely on a balance need to have a balance account linked to their personal account. PayPal offers two types of balance accounts: PayPal Cash and PayPal Cash Plus.​
Customers who don’t have a balance account can still use their personal PayPal account to:​
  • Send money to someone or spend online using linked banks and cards
    • Receive money and transfer it to a linked debit card or bank
    • Split a bill or send money cross-border using linked banks and cards
    • Set up a Money Pool

Sep 26, 2012
Chicago, IL
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, I just read the same thing. I now realize can transfer it to my bank without opening paypal cash. But they don't make it obvious.

I guess that's the end of my 'tshirt money = bike budget money' system. It'll all just disappear into regular money now :bigsmile:

Not worth giving paypal my SSN for.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Head Honcho
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
www.ratrodbikes.com
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
You can also get the PayPal MasterCard Debit Card that allows you to spend the money from your account or withdraw it from an ATM.

I've used mine for several years now and it works awesome.

Reactions: horsefarmer