peugeot

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought this Peugeot cheap today. I aired up the tires and rode it. It rides like you would expect a Peugeot to.
001-34.jpg

003-26.jpg

005-12.jpg

Look at the first pic. Something looks funny , doesn't it? The front wheel is smaller than the rear. It's factory. My question is ...WHY ? Anybody ever seen one? Are there other bikes similar? :?: :?: :?:

I was just about to ask if the 2 sizes where original. I have seen race bikes like this, but I can't remember what form of race bike, road or track type. Looks like a nice bike.

Perhaps you have an early time trial bike and the front wheel is smaller to provide the rider a lower, more aerodynamic position.

wheelbender6 said:
Perhaps you have an early time trial bike and the front wheel is smaller to provide the rider a lower, more aerodynamic position.

Also with the larger rear you gain a few inches per revolution so it may have had a speed advantage as well.

The smaller front wheel makes it look like a TT bike but the overall setup is more roadbike, the long wheel base, the road drops plus it has reflectors, a pie plate and the rear fender braze ons. Maybe a TT super comuter? :D

The smaller front wheel on TT bikes was more a 70/80's fad than anything else. If you look att TT bikes nowadays they're mostly 700c whips...

I have also seen smaller front wheels on women specific road bikes made by botique bike builder, "Terry". However, I think Peugot used the smaller front wheel on your roadie for quicker steering in city commutes (thats one reason why motor scooters have smaller diameter wheels than motorcycles).

Latest posts

Back