Phantom of the OCC - now the Schwinn Black Phantasm

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Phantom of the OCC - Ignaz was NOT impressed

king,
Those are awesome! Wish the current bid wasn't over $150! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Luke,
Yeah, this one is a SLOW GO so you haven't missed much :mrgreen:
I've got the entire bike 'designed', down to color scheme, which will be black on black on black.

The only thing stopping me is....me.

I'm gonna try to get the seat figured out soon. I'll be running a rear fender, so there is an issue of the springs hitting it that will need to be addressed. But first, I have to 'build' the seat...... :roll: :wink:

Please stay tuned...

Cheers,
Dr. T

Thanks guys, I appreciate the support.
I'm SLOWLY working on some more 'Schwinn-y' goodness for this beast.

Now that I have the fork worked out, it's on to the handlebars, cruiser (to stick with the 'Phantom' theme) or mini apes from an XR7 Exerciser to go with the fat NOS seat. Decisions, decisions. I was leaning toward the cruiser bars, but with the apes on, it makes me want to walk up and kickstart it!

I'll post some pics in the next few days.

Cheers,
Dr. T

I guess you aren't the one that popped for $200 on those TANK pedals!!! :? :shock:

wow tank this thing is so awesome!
i really never liked the new version of the stingray. i always thought they looked too "chinese attempt to sell americana to americans "
i am glad to see your version come together. looks PERFECT!!
cant wait to see it completed :shock:
great work!

Re: Phantom of the OCC - take a seat!

I mentioned needing to 'build' a seat in order to figure out the seatpost and fender clearance.

Here's why:
I wanted to have a seat that had a vintage look to it, but it had to be 'substantial' due to the wide and low design of the rest of the bike.
So, I'm combining the long spring undercarriage of a 1930s (I think) Troxel (again, I think) with an NOS Schwinn Exerciser saddle.
Gotta keep it 'Schwinn-y', right?

I started with this crusty undercarriage:
07e603e41.jpg

After a week long soak in white vinegar, some hand sanding, a coat of Rustoleum Rust Reformer, a coat of Rustoleum Automotive Primer, and finally a couple coats of Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy gloss black spray.
Pictured here with a 'donor' pan.
DSCF3298.jpg

Next (as in MONTHS later :mrgreen: ) I fabbed some brackets out of flat stock to move the mounting points so the undercarriage could be bolted on.
DSCF3687_zpsa5b6e391.jpg

Honestly, it was easier than I thought it would be, so here are the 'finished for now' pics. It nice and shiny due to fresh wipe down with some Armor-All.
Side view:
DSCF3685_zps49988979.jpg

Rear view, see, it's "Schwinn Approved" :mrgreen: :
DSCF3686_zps90f647d9.jpg

This thing is HUGE, roughly 12" wide by 12.5" long.
DSCF3690_zpsf1238796.jpg

DSCF3691_zpse95081bd.jpg

One last shot, the 3/4 front view:
DSCF3689_zps8d7c4c99.jpg

Next up, figuring out the fender clearance, the springs are ~4" apart. That sounds wide, but I'm dealing with the OCC rear fender which is around 5" wide. So, the seat will have to sit high enough to avoid spring contact under load (me), while sitting back far enough to give me a comfortable reach to the pedals (got a cool crankset coming, BTW). Then I'll have 'slowriderz' make me a sweet seatpost.

Cheers 'til then,
Dr. T

Re: Phantom of the OCC - take a seat!

WOW! :shock: That saddle came out superbly!!!

Phantom of the OCC - feelin' cranky!

Got a cool 'bike karma' gift from 'MplsCoaster' today!
I've been eyeballin' this Trek chainring of Steve's for a while, I think it looks like a 'Schwinn-y' cloverleaf sprocket.
DSCF3693_zpsf9cd87ec.jpg

Here's Schwinn's:
T2eC16dHJIkE9qU3lQ1iBQCDGuDhQw60_35_zpsafb165a5.jpg

See?
As a bonus it has 165mm legs and a 38 tooth chainring. Coupled with the Sturmey Archer 3-speed and some sealed bearings, I think the combo will make for some easy cruiser pedaling.

Thanks again Steve, if I ever get to Minneapolis, I owe you and the FIL a round at Diary Queen! :mrgreen:

Stay tuned.....there's even more on the way.....

Cheers,
Dr. T

Latest posts

Back