(Pics) First time buyer/Resto...help w/ ID

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, first post here! A few weeks ago, I was referred over from another forum to this awesome one and decided I'd better sign up.

I just purchased a 'new' bike and was wondering if you could help me verify its true identity. I believe it's a proper Mark IV Jaguar, but am not sure. The bike is out of state and my father is going to pick it up and ship it to me. If it's a scam, or not legit, I'm out...no money sent just yet.

For now all I have are these pics. Awaiting the serial number too from the seller.

Thanks for the assistance, hope to get some clues. I know the tank, light, and rear rack are missing, and the seat and pedals are not original. All else looks to be about right for a '59-'63 Mark IV Jaguar. I know there are some subtle diff's between the Jag, Corvette, and a few others.

Buster

CIMG4525.jpg

CIMG4524.jpg

CIMG4523.jpg

CIMG4522.jpg

CIMG4521.jpg

CIMG4520.jpg

CIMG4518.jpg

CIMG4517.jpg

CIMG4516.jpg

CIMG4515.jpg

CIMG4513.jpg

CIMG4526.jpg

Thanks. I am concerned about the color of the bike frame Vs the chain guard...and basically that there are so many old Schwinn middleweights that share very similar features in the frames.

Yeah, I saw that too. Thought that the headbadges were more of a 'sunburst' pattern. That is one mystery, and the color of the frame looks a little dark, but maybe it's just dirty. And I believe the chainguard may be a sticker possible over the old paint?

The starburst/sunburst badge you're thinking of was only used for a couple years. I think you can see them on '61-'63 Schwinns only.

YES, I just got the Serial number from the seller. It is K982686...which after checking two different webpages confirms for me that it was built on 27 October 1959! :D

Sweet!

Now I just need to determine if it's a Jaguar, or Typhoon, or a Corvette, etc.

Nice find! looks great! i had the same thoughts in terms of the chainguard looking a little lighter than the frame but that could be the picture or just fading. check out the link to the catalog of an original Mark IV. its missing the tank if it indeed is a Jaguar. In any case you got a beautiful bike! enjoy!
http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1951 ... 59_03.html

Some of the obvious differences are the tires, handlebars, the seat and the lack of the tank. looking at the lighter chainguard looks to be due to inpart that the red is painted onto the chrome (i'm not an expert on the application of paint onto chrome) but checking out your other pics, thats why i'm theorizing the case. after seeing the catalog, the only difference between a new jaguar and a corvette is the tank and the rear rack. they were both offered in the radiant red with either a 3 spd, 2 spd or coaster. in any case, it looks as though you do have a Mark IV on your hands (envy!) let us know what you do with it, whether you customize it or do a restoration of any kind. the important part is to ride it and have fun!

Yeah, I'm really excited to get it and begin restoration! I plan on really cleaning her up and putting on parts that are original to bring her up to spec!

Do you think the handlebars are not original? I can see the grips are not, but you mentioned handlebars.

Very cool find! The handlebars, grips, seat and pedals don't appear to be original Jag. Also as stated earlier, needs rear rack and tank. My '61 Jaguar Mk IV is my favorite middleweight, they are great riders.

I may be parting a '61 Corvette in the next bit here if you'd be interested in the handlebars. Let me know! Nice bike you've got there and I definitely agree about the chainguard paint. I think it's a combination of the paint on the chrome thinning over the years and the paint on the frame needing a solid polishing.

What size is that front tire? It looks too beefy to be a S7 (1 & 3/4)

Latest posts

Back