Pimp my 'Slater'

Jul 25, 2019
0.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
Newbie here! I bought a Felt Slater on ebay a while back and had issues with the headset, shifting and dings on the frame. After I became a new member I saw that there will be a 'build off' ending in Sept so I aimed to participate in that. I have a pretty crazy work schedule and to make matters worse, I got sick and hospitalized during the last few weeks. However, the build I had in mind was fairly simple and I had most parts. As I got back home yesterday, I will try to post and load this build in the last few hours of the deadline. The first few pics show the original condition I started with before i get into the build.

Last edited:
Reactions: RustyGold
Jul 25, 2019
12-1.JPG
I tried to remove the anodized color on the rim by myself on the balcony. That didn't work at all. I ended up having to remove the entire coat with sand paper and then polish the rims as well.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019
I powder coated the 3 speed shimano hub black but kept the original spokes to re-built the wheels with OG parts.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019
In the front, I used the same springer fork that the bike came with. I just upgraded the flimsy headset and re-installed the fork.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019
16.JPG

I upgraded the bottom bracket. To match the polished frame, I polished the outside of the bottom bracket adaptors.

17.JPG

The upgraded crank arms were purchased as 'polished' but in direct comparison, only the actual polished arms would match the frame.

21.JPG
Then I saw one of those skull stems and they matched the style and size of the OEM stuff so I polished a skull and installed it.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019
24.JPG
25.JPG
The only things I couldn't polish were the chain guard and the kick stand. Both were steel and had to be chromed. The kickstand was difficult to chrome as the spring could not be removed. Here is how it came out first. That has since been fixed by having to chrome it again.

Last edited:
Reactions: kingfish254
Jul 25, 2019
I also found a 'Felt' logo in Hongkong, also on ebay. I matched the saddle to the grips and installed the sturmey archer 'thumb shifter', which works fine with the OG shimano 3 speed hub. Once I found the 'chrome' shifter cable that I was looking for to finish the look, I knew I was cutting it close but that it was possible to finish on time.
18.JPG
23.JPG
41.JPG

Jul 24, 2012
Lebanon, OH
Hey @ClarenceB ,, When did you start all of this work for this build?
I hate to be a hater, this is a killer bike but I'm not a fan of the fact that every single photo was uploaded the day before the deadline. Seems to be against the spirit of the comp when other guys have been updating their build threads for months. If this still falls under the parameters of the comp rules then I'm good with it but I think it could set an ugly precedent for future build offs. However, with that said it is one heck of a bike.

Feb 20, 2018
Germany, Leverkusen
I rotate my vertical pics 90 degrees and then rotate them back (with the windows viewing programm) and it usually works, then when I upload them they show as they should on the forum. It doesn't always work, but 9 times out of 10.

Reactions: ClarenceB