BO15 PINK PANTHER - Close, but no cigar.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dig the mags! Those grips are funky. What brand / model are they?
I'm trying to imagine pink and yellow, sounds a little like a Starburst candy pack! :grin: A couple of my favorite flavors.

Hey @OddJob , I found the brand on those grips. We called them 'octopus grips' and after searching, it seems that was a common term for this style.

Screenshot_20200731-011401_eBay.jpg

That packaging has the 1970's written all over it! Cool.

Bobby, I got to thinking about your crank and needing shorter arms. So I did a random 'Kids bike girls' search on our local craigslist. Here's what I found in the second listing:
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/bik/d/saint-paul-girls-kids-bike-bicycle-20/7151443492.html
A yellow chain ring ! And yellow spokes on pink wheels! And that pad on the cross bar !

pink panther bike.jpg

Ba-dum-ba-dum, ba-dum, ba-dum ba-dum ba-dump, ba-daaaaaa, deedily dum bump!

That packaging has the 1970's written all over it! Cool.

Bobby, I got to thinking about your crank and needing shorter arms. So I did a random 'Kids bike girls' search on our local craigslist. Here's what I found in the second listing:
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/bik/d/saint-paul-girls-kids-bike-bicycle-20/7151443492.html
A yellow chain ring ! And yellow spokes on pink wheels! And that pad on the cross bar !

View attachment 131307

Ba-dum-ba-dum, ba-dum, ba-dum ba-dum ba-dump, ba-daaaaaa, deedily dum bump!

Lol! That's the same donor bike I found at Goodwill! The crank arm length is perfect, but the diameter of the BB is about the size of a silver dollar, so it won't fit the Murray. However, I just scored a NOS wald BB assembly with the 4.5" crankarm so just a few more postal days and I can test ride. From there I should be able to spend the home stretch just working on paint and reassembly.

20200605_143746.jpg

That trashy moon disc looks so good the way it is, and matches so well with all your other chrome / shiny steel, that I would leave it as is.
On the other hand, and there is always an 'other hand', I could def see more 'pink' on this bike! ;) :p :D

That trashy moon disc looks so good the way it is, and matches so well with all your other chrome / shiny steel, that I would leave it as is.
On the other hand, and there is always an 'other hand', I could def see more 'pink' on this bike! ;) :p :D

There will be more pink, I promise! I tend to agree, if I do any paint (especially a graphic) on the moon, it will neet to read as a uniform body when spinning. For this reason, I will only be doing a cut out for the valve stem on the none drive side. I don't want the sing-a-long 'bouncing ball' on that clean moon, especially since that will already be going on in front.

Mounted up the fender, set the seat height, and got all the essentials tightened up for a test ride. Waiting on my new crank assembly so I can ACTUALLY ride it, but really close to the maiden voyage.

20200802_230602.jpg

I've had an airbrush on order for about a month now then found out today it's on back order (of course they didn't volunteer that info). Now I have a compressor and no brush, so we're going to have to go rattle can. No worries, grabbed some paint today, so next will be some paint tests to prep for the main event. Glad I have a month for paint because I might need it.

I love the idea of the sleepy panther mooneyes!!!!
I guess those should be called "Pinkeyes" :D :D

Let there be light!!!

Soooo pretty sure I've earned a doctorate in jerry-rigging by now LOL! Makeshift mounting brackets until I can fabricate the permanent ones... here's a mockup progression for your viewing pleasure.

One is the loneliest number...
20200803_221048.jpg

Two can be as bad as one...?
20200803_234209.jpg

Yeah, two can be a badazzzz one!
20200803_234035.jpg

Also, one light came with this sweet bracket that mounts perfectly on one of the fork tabs. Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet, but it is destined for greatness!
20200803_221243.jpg

Last edited:
One of these might work on that bracket

1596545076154.png

Hello Party People!
I took it for a test ride last week and it was WONKY as hel...icopter school.
Not gonna lie I was pretty bummed, pretty down for this past week. I was stoked to get to paint, but I have some engineering to work out still.

I have ridden lowriders, so I expected some challenges in handling, but this one pivots like a swing bike at the headtube. I will push through, but definitely not where I expected to be at this point. I eased back into things today by taking abart the front end, as well as making the cutout for valve access in the rear moon. (See below)

I cut the disc and gently folded over tabs to the backside.

20200812_171343.jpg
20200812_171347.jpg

Then I took some copper electrical wire to make a ribbing I could fold the tabs around to create a beaded edge that would look and feel a little cleaner than a crease.

20200812_171356.jpg
20200812_171407.jpg
20200812_172505.jpg

Turned out pretty sweet.

20200812_172508.jpg

Sorry to hear about your handling woes. I sure hope you get it figured out to your satisfaction.
Killer work on those valve cap cutouts. Great idea with the copper wire to form the beaded edge. The valve cap looks perfectly framed there.
Don't give up, keep plugging along.

Latest posts

Back