BO15 PINK PANTHER - Close, but no cigar.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with hamppea, if it's physically possible for you to reach, get those apes more vertical, as close to straight up as possible. Then your fulcrum point of steering will be focused right above the head tube. I even notice on my RaTs GaSs that I will probably push my bars forward another 3 " or so to get better handling. I left them in line with the fork legs for 'show' . :wink1:

Is the fork 'solid' feeling? Or is there some wankiness and lack of stiffness in that too? Maybe larger diameter legs clamped in your crown ( that width all the way down to the drop out) would stiffen it up as well.

Let there be light!!!

Soooo pretty sure I've earned a doctorate in jerry-rigging by now LOL! Makeshift mounting brackets until I can fabricate the permanent ones... here's a mockup progression for your viewing pleasure.

One is the loneliest number...
View attachment 131892

Two can be as bad as one...?
View attachment 131893

Yeah, two can be a badazzzz one!
View attachment 131894

Also, one light came with this sweet bracket that mounts perfectly on one of the fork tabs. Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet, but it is destined for greatness!
View attachment 131895
How bout that it's a match. I'll see what I can do to get that wheel to you man.

Ok! Welcome to the 'eleventh hour' everybody! I ended up getting my rake adjusted so the Pink Panther is rideable. Huzzah!!!
So here is a huge progress dump as I have just been knocking out as much as I can before the deadline tomorrow...

I ground off most of the tab on the right leg of the fork and flipped my mounting so that I gained about 3 inches of height and rake. This made a huge improvement with steering and rideability.
20200827_161610.jpg

I didn't mess around with adjustment once it was rideable because I had 10 days left for paint, so I started my paint test on the old fender (a la @kingfish254).

I used an etching primer, then half silver metallic and half white to see how things would look with either as a base.
20200828_184026.jpg
20200828_190416.jpg
20200828_190419.jpg
20200828_190423.jpg

Then I did 3rds of blush pink, florescent pink (only darker pink in stock at the time), and yellow. After that, I dusted the pinks with rose gold glitter spray, and the yellow with gold glitter. I saw quickly that florescent pink was going to overpower everything and I would need to swap it out for the final paintjob.

This is a bit sloppy, and the glitter doesn't show up very well in the pic, but I learned and confirmed what I needed to.
20200828_211016.jpg
20200828_211020.jpg

Last edited:
THEN THE RAIN BEGAN...
My deepest sympathies to everyone effected by hurricane Laura. My inconvenience is trivial in light of the devestation it has caused, but it definitely ate up an already lean timeline. However, I have a fan, a dehumidifier, and a hunger for the impossible, so with 2 days left we're still in it. Stayed up all night on Saturday taping off my frame and primed my sprocket.
20200830_165801.jpg
20200830_220546.jpg
20200831_132954.jpg
20200831_133015.jpg
20200831_133025.jpg

Last edited:
Houston to 'Glitter Patrol'...over?
20200831_201257.jpg

I decided to only use glitter on the light pink, and possibly the yellow. Reason being, it reads as pearl with the light pink, but looks like I dumped glitter haphazardly on the darker pink. Also, since I'm doing box pins, I think it's a higher return aesthetically with bare metal and dark pink to set it off.

Latest posts

Back