Pinstriping

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Decided to start a thread for pinstriping techniques. I'm just an amateur who's only done a couple things with simple double-lines using masking tapes, but I'll start.

The best product I worked with was Finesse Pinstriping Masking Tape, which comes in varying thicknesses, spacing, and number of stripes. I also tried a cheap pinstriping tool that had some spacing-adjustable grooved wheels that picked up paint from a small glass hopper to roll onto the painting surface. Bled all over the place with the thin gold leaf enamel. I think it might have worked with a thick paint, like latex, but that's not much help with bikes and I didn't know about it when I did my kayak, which I striped with hand-laid thin masking tape (heavy duty outdoor latex holds up decently well on a wood kayak and even the expensive stuff I used costs a fraction of the price of marine paint and it comes in any color). Hand spacing isn't bad on a consistent surface, but it would be a lot less aggravation to use the pre-spaced tape, especially on something like a bike.

Finesse tape on Major Taylor:
15252495_10154300906023191_1869348801863917888_o.jpg

15272239_10154300906013191_4387479484481894137_o.jpg

Hand spacing on Kraken:
1044648_10151550229543191_324027232_n.jpg

999832_10151550231913191_1409091992_n.jpg

I looked at it from my phone (instead of my laptop) without being logged in, and they're showing up. I don't know why they're not working.

Thanks! I wanted to do something where the pinstripes terminated and because I love giant squid, exaggerated arms are what I came up with. I'm not sure what you mean by original—it's a CLC Chesapeake 17, which is a kit or plan-made kayak and was designed as such. This common general style of kayak are referred to as Greenland style, but they really only echo the silhouette of real native Greenland boats, which were built with skin stretched and sewn over skeletal wood frames. The paddle I made in the second pic is much truer to authentic Greenland equipment than the boat (and much nicer to use than the typical style IMO, plus they're cheap and a lot of fun to make). It's a great boat, though, but every time I lift it onto the roof at the end of a day out, I tell myself that I need to make a nice, lightweight skin boat (except that the designs I've seen are too authentic for me, that is low in primary and secondary stability as I paddle to relax, not hunt walrus while dodging ice packs—those were rugged people living tough lives).

I see the pics now from my laptop. Weird that I could not from iPad or my Samsung phone. However;

The pinstripe on the Iverson and the CLC kayak looks great! Nice work! I have been following CLC boats for many years. I have a daughter beginning her 3rd year at the Naval Academy in Annapolis, so I have stopped by CLC boats at least 3 times over the years, twice recently. Most recently to see their new tear drop camper design. I am fond of the rowing boats. There is a 17' CLC kayak just three doors down at Tom's house, he built her many years ago and just recently re-painted it. He uses it several times a year to Kayak across Lake Monroe, (Bloomington, IN) to camp remotely. I will show him your squid as he will want to see it, but will have to lug my laptop over there, lol.

The pinstripe action caught my attention. I am a bit off topic. Hoping for more pinstripe participation.

Thanks!

~Kruez

Their camper's really nice. They have quite the variety of boats now. If I didn't design a power boat, I'd definitely be looking to build the Southwester Dory. If your friend asks about the integrated rudder, you can tell him it's useless—too small to do much.

Yeah, I'm hoping people will contribute pinstriping techniques and results. I'm by no means an expert, so I shouldn't be the focus!

Duchess, give your striping tool a second chance, but next time use a creamy sign painter's paint like One Shot. That's how it's intended to be used and the pro car pinstripers swear by it. Those paints aren't cheap, but a 1/4 pint tin would probably keep you striping for the rest of your life.

http://www.1shot.com/One-Shot/colors/Lettering-Enamels.aspx

Duchess, give your striping tool a second chance, but next time use a creamy sign painter's paint like One Shot. That's how it's intended to be used and the pro car pinstripers swear by it. Those paints aren't cheap, but a 1/4 pint tin would probably keep you striping for the rest of your life.

http://www.1shot.com/One-Shot/colors/Lettering-Enamels.aspx
Agreed. I used a Beugler pinstriping tool with 1shot most recently on my wheels for QUOISE. I've had one for years, they're easy to use and always have good results. I did two different width stripes with the smallest being about 1/16" wide.
index.php

index.php

index.php

BTW, one of my "to-do" projects has been to replicate one of Duchess' consumer-style striping tools as a 3-D printed object. The glass vial can be purchased locally. I like the Beugler, but they're crazy expensive for this poor hobbyist.

pinstriping-tool-rims-schwinn-shelby_1_bea064eea8e8e35ed09731a40a73a6d4.jpg

Beugler knows paint viscosity matters. Looking at the Beugler site, they offer 3 different textures of wheels. Standard, Medium, Course, each intended for a different viscosity of paint.

A brief description is here:
https://www.beugler.com/industrial-wheelheads/

I've yet to pickup a pinstripe brush. But I think I could do it, I've always been "artsy" and I have a steady hand. The beauty in some the jobs I've seen and the complexity is in matching two sides. That spacing tool is perfect for wheels tho.

Carl.

Latest posts

Back