Plains of Armageddon II

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyGold

Epic Level Bike Hoarder! 🏆
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
This is the sequel to, 'The Plains of Armageddon' post :grin:. I've haven't been riding since late May. I was supposed to wait until four months after surgery, but, I figure 11wks is close enough :thumbsup: I took the Floval Flyer out to an old mill log pond turned park / wildlife refuge / environmental restoration area. The mill that was attached to this log pond died nearly thirty years ago.

Loaded up and ready to go!
IMG_20200823_132855464_HDR.jpg

The pond has multiple fingers, peninsulas.
Screenshot_20200823-115702.png

This is the end of one of them
IMG_20200823_111444047.jpg

Between two fingers.
IMG_20200823_111752989_HDR.jpg

The end of another finger.
IMG_20200823_112153402_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200823_112506951.jpg

Maybe 50yards from the main parking lot, the entrance to the Plains of Armageddon II, the sequel :wondering:. I would guess the vast majority of people that visit Cheadle Lake park have no idea what is back here, even though it is nestled in between the park and a Walgreens on the main street in town. That is the same pond in the background from the previous pics. Just before this pic was taken...I was growled at by the 'resident' of the shack on the right... literally growled at by a 'human being.'
IMG_20200823_113213899.jpg

IMG_20200823_113229443.jpg

IMG_20200823_113256227.jpg

IMG_20200823_113302572_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200823_113317493_HDR.jpg

This is the last building standing of the mill. The two huge main buildings burned to the ground a few years back under suspicious circumstances (code for negligent homeless squatters and tweekers, I guess). To give credit where credit is due...this part was a complete disaster last year when I rode through... everywhere there were makeshift shelters, piles of rifled through 'loot', shopping carts galore, a large boat that was being used as a shelter...and trash, needles, and feces everywhere. The town has cracked down a bit on the homeless problem here...which means most of them have moved to the next town over, which is where I grew up most of my childhood...and it is bedlam over there, as most of the city council embraces compassion. Compassion evidently means it's okay to sleep and shoot up in on main street and allowing them to expose themselves to children :39:.
IMG_20200823_113438458.jpg

The doors are locked up on both ends...but, you'll notice there is a bike parked between the building and the shack.
IMG_20200823_113630161.jpg

This little shack wasn't burned down last year...I wonder if the FD even knows it happened?
IMG_20200823_113820320.jpg

On this side, you can see the auxiliary entrances that have been added :bigsmile:.
IMG_20200823_113824655.jpg

Enough of that...back to the park.
IMG_20200823_114146926.jpg

IMG_20200823_114153494_HDR.jpg

This is an temporary drive-in theater set up in the park in reaction to china-virus crisis. Someone had kept the sign from the drive in that was down the road a bit...it was torn down ~20years ago and replaced by a WalMart.
IMG_20200823_114828606.jpg

That's that...maybe my next neighborhood post will skip the bad and just focus on the good :grin:...maybe.

Last edited:
This is the sequel to, 'The Plains of Armageddon' post :grin:. I've haven't been riding since late May. I was supposed to wait until four months after surgery, but, I figure 11wks is close enough :thumbsup: I took the Floval Flyer out to an old mill log pond turned park / wildlife refuge / environmental restoration area. The mill that was attached to this log pond died nearly thirty years ago.

Loaded up and ready to go!
View attachment 134936

The pond has multiple fingers, peninsulas.
View attachment 134992

This is the end of one of them
View attachment 134966

Between two fingers.
View attachment 134968

The end of another finger.
View attachment 134969

View attachment 134970

Maybe 50yards from the main parking lot, the entrance to the Plains of Armageddon II, the sequel :wondering:. I would guess the vast majority of people that visit Cheadle Lake park have no idea what is back here, even though it is nestled in between the park and a Walgreens on the main street in town. That is the same pond in the background from the previous pics. Just before this pic was taken...I was growled at by the 'resident' of the shack on the right... literally growled at by a 'human being.'
View attachment 134971

View attachment 134972

View attachment 134973

View attachment 134974

View attachment 134975

This is the last building standing of the mill. The two huge main buildings burned to the ground a few years back under suspicious circumstances (code for negligent homeless squatters and tweekers, I guess). To give credit where credit is due...this part was a complete disaster last year when I rode through... everywhere there were makeshift shelters, piles of rifled through 'loot', shopping carts galore, a large boat that was being used as a shelter...and trash, needles, and feces everywhere. The town has cracked down a bit on the homeless problem here...which means most of them have moved to the next town over, which is where I grew up most of my childhood...and it is bedlam over there, as most of the city council embraces compassion. Compassion evidently means it's okay to sleep and shoot up in on main street and allowing them to expose themselves to children :39:.
View attachment 134976

The doors are locked up on both ends...but, you'll notice there is a bike parked between the building and the shack.
View attachment 134977

This little shack wasn't burned down last year...I wonder if the FD even knows it happened?
View attachment 134978

On this side, you can see the auxiliary entrances that have been added :bigsmile:.
View attachment 134979

Enough of that...back to the park.
View attachment 134980

View attachment 134981

This is an temporary drive-in theater set up in the park in reaction to china-virus crisis. Someone had kept the sign from the drive in that was down the road a bit...it was torn down ~20years ago and replaced by a WalMart.
View attachment 134982

That's that...maybe my next neighborhood post will skip the bad and just focus on the good :grin:...maybe.
All I saw was a Floval Flyer!!! :thumbsup:

Bummers Galore

When someone asks me why I ride mountain bikes and tend to go to what some might consider "the middle of nowhere", my usual answer is that because I can.

As far as skinny tire or town/utility riding goes, my routing avoids most of the semi-human detritus in town. Even so, almost weekly some dingbat lowlife either barges me with their vehicle, or makes some kind of unprovoked snide remark at me. Last week some kids on foot with no home training called me the N word. I turned around and not so kindly let them know that their parents suck.

Almost weekly some dingbat lowlife either barges me with their vehicle, or makes some kind of unprovoked snide remark at me. Last week some kids on foot with no home training called me the N word. I turned around and not so kindly let them know that their parents suck.

People suck. Your trips sound like some of mine

I think if I lived in a large city I'd be one of those cyclists punching people's mirrors off their cars in retaliation :blush:

I think if I lived in a large city I'd be one of those cyclists punching people's mirrors off their cars in retaliation :blush:
Only the cyclists who, never learned how to drive and don't know that 'oncoming traffing does not stop' signs apply to them as well, do that.

There's a number of riders round here who trust my braking ability so much they're willing to put their life in my hands on a regular basis. They always commend me for my quick reflexes with a friendly gift of the bird.

Only the cyclists who, never learned how to drive and don't know that 'oncoming traffing does not stop' signs apply to them as well, do that.

There's a number of riders round here who trust my braking ability so much they're willing to put their life in my hands on a regular basis. They always commend me for my quick reflexes with a friendly gift of the bird.
My comment was more aimed at motor vehicle drivers that show blatant disregard for cyclists rights. Those that don't think bikes belong on the road and have made themselves an enforcer of their beliefs

Small town Canada, we don't even have traffic, and drivers still resent cyclists for some reason. There is a fight ongoing at city hall to remove the bike lanes. :mad:
Our addiction to petroleum fed transportation is going to need to change, and to do so, we need to encourage the alternatives. We need to stop prioritizing car's rights uber alles

Update...it got better for a while, then much much worse. I'd go to the remaining building, without entering, listen for 'habitation' and call the cops. Eventually it became not so much habitation, but storage for their criminal enterprises. I took gallons of old paint there on a few occasions and poured it over the swastikas and such. Haven't been there lately til this weekend.

Compare to the pics above...
IMG_20220807_103706781.jpg

IMG_20220807_103711112.jpg

...this is where the shacks were that I was growled at...
IMG_20220807_103820093_HDR.jpg

...the main building is now locked again (for a long while it was just brazenly left wide open)...all the sally ports have been sealed up...its an improvement!
IMG_20220807_103704254.jpg

Blackberries and other vegetation removed to reduce hidey holes...and most notable...tons of garbage and debris removed!

Latest posts

Back