(poll) frame rule in the build off go back to no cutting

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

should the frame rule in the build off go back to not cutting anything off?

• No

Votes: 28 59.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 19 40.4%

• Total voters
I think it should be limited to only cutting fender braces, dropouts, chain guard tabs, brake bridges, and other SMALL areas or to rake the steer tube. Nothing crazy or re-designing the frame's geometry.

Wonder how many this year are just gonna whack the heck out of their bikes. This will be interesting

raggedjim said:
Rat Rod said:
Anything goes... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wonder if Mofaux is for sale? Shouldn't take much to make a rat out of it! :mrgreen:

I have secretly bought Mofaux and Deluxe 6 Rat Racer and I am going to join them together without cutting and have the firt tandem to win the build off.

I don't have a problem with any of the rules. I participated in RRBBO7 with my "'38 Special" till it came time to paint the frame. I originally thought the frame was beyond a great paint job because of the pitted rust. But the more I ground on it with crocus cloth on a palm sander I realized it COULD be a beautiful bike. So I made the conscience decision to drop out of the buildoff so I could have a professional paint job done on it which I am not capable of doing. And I am fine with that. I will also have my CWC-1 completed buildoff bike repainted at some point. So I didn't vote at all because I enjoy watching the buildoffs no matter what the rules are. The ideas, the skills, the ingenuity of the the different builders fascinates me. I will always be a fan. Robert

Road Master said:
I enjoy watching the buildoffs no matter what the rules are. The ideas, the skills, the ingenuity of the the different builders fascinates me. I will always be a fan. Robert

Thanks for being a straight up guy. I respect that MUCH more than bending the rules and letting the votes decide.

You captured the coolness of the build in your quote above. It just doesn't compare to building a bike on the side. The end result may be the same or even better, but the journey to get there is COMPLETELY diferrent!!!!!!!!

I voted yes because I like the challenge of staying within a set of rules and still trying to come up with something cool that others have not. That being said I also like the thought of anything goes so we don't have people whining about "so and so did this or that", or "is this legal?" or "can I do this, if this, that and the other are all in their original postions?, I swear it won't look any different reallly!" This is all about having fun and building a great bike. Throughout the year there are a lot of projects going on that not everybody can watch and keep tabs on. The build off is perfect excuse for me to go through the site everynight and see what is happening, otherwise the wifey gets cranky if I do it too much (yes I have an addiction :( ). Whatever is decided is fine with me. I don't have a welder or paint booth or powder coat oven. So those are all out of equation for me. My buildoff bike will still be a quick low budget build that is done side-by-side with the rest of the great members here on the site. It is about comradery more so than competition. Have fun and run what ya brung!

bike2112 said:
So what are the rules then for an anything goes build? Can I now outsource my paint and chrome? And, can I have my neighbor do all my welding for me? Just wondering.

I'm thinking with an "anything goes" build, there are no rules. But, I've been wrong before.....a couple of times anyway! :lol: :lol:

When those guys on TV do a build off they outsource parts of the build like paint fabricating an they are playing for a trophy an potential business so why can't we just my $1.50 worth witch is now only worth .02cent

Terry66 said:
Rat Rod said:
Anything goes... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am so going with an 8" rear tire..... :shock:

Diameter? I'm picturing your build already. :mrgreen:

130608660667.jpg

If you replace the stock fork, you are probably altering the frame geometry as the bike will have different stance. I do agree that silly putty may be in order.

This may hurt some feelings but I think using a stock frame and not modifying it can fall into the realm of accessorizing rather than customizing. I have seen some amazing bikes built without frame mods, but usually these bikes are exceptional despite not being radically altered. When you start cutting up a bike you take a risk of ending up with something that doesn't flow. When you leave the frame as it was you run the risk of the bike looking too ordinary. In the end any advantage given by either choice evens out.

Personally I plan to make a girl's frame into a guys frame and in the process the frame will end up with more rake, longer, and lower.

Latest posts

Back